March 20

We started our last day in New Orleans like this:
More beignets and chicory cafe au lait, along with pignets (? They were pork sausage, wrapped in a beignet?) at a farewell brunch hosted by the new bride and groom. What a lovely way to end our stay!

We took a long-cut out of town so that we could experience driving on the causeway across Lake Ponchartrain, and it was beautiful. We didn't forget anything this time, so our drive home took about 9 and a half hours. Chris downloaded the audiobook version of American Sniper, and we listened to it the whole way home.

Meanwhile, my mom was rocking and rolling with the kids.
Or rather, she had reached a point of exhausted delirium. Same thing, right? 
She sent me these pictures:
It snowed! In March! I hope the seeds Caleb and I planted survive!

She gave the kids oatmeal (with blueberries) for breakfast, and was much braver than I am: she let Eli feed himself.

He seems pretty proud of himself!

For lunch, she took the kids to visit Jenny at the restaurant she manages.
Those are two happy kids!

And she let Eli feed himself again.

Look at how happy he is about it! Or is he happy about mac and cheese?
Mom told me that Lily devoured her bowl of mac and cheese, and demanded more. Then she devoured that bowl, and asked for a third. Mom cut her off after two bowls. 

We got home about 9:30 pm, after the kids were sound asleep. It was good to be home, and I am so thankful that my mom took such good care of the kids. I think she'll need to sleep for a week straight to recover, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment