January 20

Well. At 5:45 this morning, Daisy threw up. Luckily, Chris was awake, so he handled it while Eli and I snoozed in bed. What a good man he is! When I got up, I slathered her in essential oils, fed her some activated charcoal, and gave her an ice pack. She seemed to feel okay for a little while, and didn't throw up any more.

While I made breakfast for the kiddos, Caleb got down on the floor and played with Eli. He looked up at me and said, "Mommy! Take a picture of us!" I couldn't refuse.
I love that my big boy knows a good photo opp when it happens.
I also love the tipped over (but empty and clean) potty in the background, the plug for my essential oil diffuser, the fact that Eli is playing with a lid and straw he pulled out of a drawer, and Daisy in her nightie. It's chaotic and definitely not Pinterest-worthy, but look at how happy those boys are!

Can you guess what happened next?
(No, not vomit.)
Eli immediately crawled over and climbed into my lap. 
Seriously, this kid is relentless. You'd think that after snuggling with me all night long, he wouldn't feel the need to be on me or in my lap.

But no. The moment I sit on the ground, Eli is always right there, climbing into my lap.

(Related: have I written about how Eli and I sleep? He always sleeps in his room from about 7:30 to 10:30 pm. When he wakes to nurse, I bring him into my bed. He nurses, then rolls over and scoots back so that he is spooning with me, his back to my chest, often resting his head on my bent arm. If I don't immediately put my other arm around him, he will flop his arm back so that it is tossed over my body. He requires maximum physical contact at all times, and remarkably, I still find it more endearing than obnoxious. I know that he is likely the last baby I will snuggle like this, and that it will end all too soon, so I am embracing it.)

 Aside from Daisy's vomit, the other exciting thing about today was that it was our first homeschool snow day! All of the districts in the area cancelled school, but I didn't tell Caleb that. Instead, we had a light school day. I found a bunch of fun snow-related science experiments, and after Eli went down for his morning nap, we bundled up and headed out.

First, we hiked up to the pond in our backyard and explored. Then we slid down the steep hill on our bottoms, and went to the front yard to play. (Don't worry, Mom. I had the baby monitor on me the whole time, and Eli was fine.)

This boy was so happy to be outside!

This girl was whiny and obnoxious. I was totally annoyed at the time, but now I get that she probably felt really awful, but didn't want to miss out on the fun. It must be terrible being sick when you're four years old. 

(Side note: did you notice that Caleb is wearing Daisy's kitty hat, and Daisy is wearing Caleb's ski mask? She got outside in her hat and almost immediately began complaining that her nose was cold. Her big brother kindly traded hats with her. What a good boy.)

Caleb and Lily made up for Daisy's grouchiness with their enthusiasm.

It wasn't actually snowing like this; he threw snow up in the air and watched it fall.

Yeah, he was about to throw that giant snowball at my camera.

This picture cracks me up. Why? 
1. It's just hilarious. That crooked hat? Her big, puffy body? Mowing in the snow?
2. I have a picture of Caleb doing the same thing at the same age. I wish I had time to dig it up, but I know that in both instances the child came up with the idea all on their own. Lily independently went into the garage, got out the toy lawn mower, and began mowing.

Why on earth would a two-year-old feel like the snow needed mowing? I have no idea, but it is hilarious.

Meanwhile, Daisy was grouchy.

Lily just kept on mowing.

Daisy's temperature ended up getting up to nearly 103 today, but she didn't throw up anymore. She dozed a bit, and we stayed home from Caleb's swimming class. The fever and puking mean that I can't take her to preschool or MOPS tomorrow, but at least we will be able to focus on school instead. I just hope no one else gets sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment