January 19

Well, we had a few beautiful days where none of the kids were sick and I thought that maybe we would have a respite from the endless winter colds that are inevitable with little ones.

It ended today. Lily has a runny nose, and Daisy came home from preschool in a black, surly mood. She yelled from her car seat that she was HUNGRY! and TIRED! and COLD! and SHE JUST WANTED TO GO HOME! and SHE HAD A HEADACHE!
Poor girl. I've had days like that, and I was remarkably tolerant of it. I am learning to deal with her scowls and eye-rolls more patiently each day, I think. When we got home, she didn't want to eat. She wanted a family snuggle. In my experience, nothing chases away the grouchies better than a good snuggle, so I quickly agreed, even though it meant delaying lunch for everyone. Sometimes, making Daisy happy is an investment in happiness for everyone.

While we were snuggling, I realized she felt a bit warm. I took her temperature, and at not quite 101, it was a low-grade fever. Not enough to alarm me, but enough to explain the foul mood. Eventually I got everyone fed and down for naps, even though Eli took significantly longer than normal and Daisy didn't actually do any napping. Caleb and I got a solid hour to read together before anyone woke up, so we snuggled on the couch, watched the snow fall, and read a few books about sharks and whales.

All three little ones woke up around the same time, and somehow they all ended up in Eli's room. The big three all piled into Eli's recliner, and Caleb asked me to bring Eli to snuggle with them, too.

You know I ran for my camera.
This is how it goes.
Real life sometimes involves grouchy kids, snotty noses, tangly hair, and short tempers.
But it also involves snuggles and smiles and love.

Daisy's head hurt. She was irritable and unhappy. But still, she wanted to be right there with her siblings. 

This is our beautiful chaos, and I am thankful for it.
I am also exhausted, and totally done.
Let's pray I'm not sick, and that Daisy is fine in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment