September 25

When Caleb gets home from school each day, we always take a few minutes to sit on the couch, unpack his backpack, and talk about his day. We only have a few minutes, though, because it is quickly time for me to start making dinner. Sometimes the kids entertain themselves while I make dinner, but other times Caleb likes to play a computer math game called Dreambox. We have access to it through his school; he has an account that tracks his progress both at home and at school. Since Caleb has never really had much access to the computer before, he loves the novelty of it. Amazingly, the girls also love watching him play!

Many afternoons, this is the scene in my kitchen:
Caleb playing Dreambox.
Daisy sitting in a chair scooched right up next to Caleb's, watching him play. 
(1. Her shirt is normally completely on - I have no idea what happened here
2. Initially, we had a problem with Daisy trying to "help" Caleb by answering all of the math questions - incorrectly - but she has since learned to keep her mouth shut.)
Lily standing in between the two, either watching or, in this case, writing on a receipt. I have to take the computer keyboard away, or she tries to push all the buttons.

I love that the girls are content to watch Caleb play his game, and I hope that maybe they're also picking up some math skills. 
I also love that I can cook in peace when it's Dreambox time. That is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment