September 12

We were feeling a little frisky after dinner tonight (it is Friday, after all!), so Chris and I decided that we should have popcorn and a movie as a special treat. As we discussed our plans, we used the age-old parenting technique of spelling out our ideas. 

It turns out that trick won't work for much longer. Caleb heard us spelling and was instantly interested. He couldn't figure out what we were spelling when he heard us say the letters, but as soon as I wrote "m-o-v-i-e" on a piece of paper, the boy got to work sounding out the word. And he did it! It took a little bit of help and prompting, but he was able to read the word on the page! 

I suppose Caleb's reading skills are the equivalent of Lily's walking skills right now: slow, hesitant, and with just a shaky step or two at a time. But I have no doubt that now that it's started, we'll see both begin to blossom quickly. How exciting!

In order for us to watch a movie, though, Caleb and Daisy had to agree on one. Chris and I could only laugh as the situation unfolded. Caleb wanted to watch Super Friends. Daisy wanted to watch Cinderella. Chris and I reminded them that they needed to agree, so they might need to compromise. I reviewed all of their options with them; Daisy suggested Frozen, and Caleb suggested Super Friends.
Then Caleb suggested Super Friends and Daisy suggested Veggie Tales.
Then Caleb began crying and screaming.
Apparently one of our children understands the concept of compromise, and I can't say I'm surprised that it's our middle child. Such is her lot in life. Eventually, Daisy suggested Veggie Tales one more time, and the two settled on the story of Minnesota Cuke. After I popped some popcorn, we were all happy campers!

No comments:

Post a Comment