September 17

We spent the morning playing with Amber and her kiddos, which was lovely.
Lily went down for her morning nap late because she slept late this morning.
Daisy and I spent some quality time together.
Lily never took an afternoon nap. 
I grilled a chicken outside while the kids played.
Cockroaches apparently live in our gas grill.
Caleb did homework and was able to read all of the words.
We had apple crisp for dessert, made from apples we picked on Sunday.
Lily went to bed easily because she was so. darn. tired.

So I suppose, all in all, it was a good day. Except for that afternoon nap thing. I could have used one, too.

As the kids swung, I noticed something different: I didn't need to push Caleb.
He was pumping his legs, and actually propelling himself! He finally figured it out!

What? A photo doesn't convey the enormity of this awesome situation? How about a video?

A transcript for you:
Me: Hey Caleb, tell me what you're doing.
Caleb: Swinging.
M: What are you doing while you're swinging?
C: Pumping.
M: What's special about that?
C: We push our - if we keep trying, we can go high and fast!
M: Did you used to be able to pump your legs and swing?
C: What?
M: Did you used to be able to pump your legs and swing?
C: Noooo.
M: But now you can!
C: Yeah.
M: How come?
C: Because I'm big! 
M: Uh-huh...
C: I'm like a teenager!
M: And when you keep trying, what's that called?
C: Pumping? 
M: Nooo. When you keep trying...
C: Persevering!
M: Yeah, you persevered, didn't you?
C: Yep!

Daisy, clad entirely in pink, wasn't at all discouraged that she couldn't pump her legs yet. Instead, she showed me how she could swing from side to side.
(She woke up from her nap with CRAZY hair. When it was time to pick Caleb up from the bus, her options were to brush her hair or wear a hat. She chose the hat.)

My little monkeys, swinging around!
And if Lily wasn't napping, where was she?

Happily strapped to my back. I put her in a swing for a while, but she quickly grew unhappy. She just wanted to be on my back! She stayed there for at least an hour, until Chris got home. Once he's home, she only has eyes for Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment