May 22

We were supposed to see our friend Andrew today, but had a last-minute change of plans. I broke the news to Caleb and Daisy, and they were about to become really upset when I looked out the window and had a flash of brilliance. All it took to cheer them back up were the words, "Let's go to the zoo today!"

It was a perfect zoo-morning, and I hoped that because it was so late in May, the school field trips would be over with. I was terribly wrong on that count, but it was still a great visit.

We even got there early enough for free carousel rides! (After this weekend, it will be harder; the free hour moves up an hour to 8-9 am. Yikes!)
As usual, Caleb chose to sit on a bench rather than ride an animal. I suppose the benches are more predictable...

Daisy chose a tiger, and was so excited about it! When Chris came home from work this afternoon, it was the first thing she told him about.

Normally, the zoo (and all of its fun freebies) is enough to keep my kids happy. But today, Caleb was suddenly aware of - and wanted - everything. He wanted to ride the train (at $5 each, including Daisy! That's steep!) He wanted his face painted. He wanted junk from the gift stands. *sigh* I thought I had him well trained, but apparently he just hadn't noticed all of the other stuff at the zoo. One of these times I'll plan ahead and we'll ride the train, but otherwise, my nos are firm. (I did offer to draw on his face when we got home, but by the time naps were over he had forgotten...)

We took a different route through the zoo today, and saw different animals than we normally see.
Also, Caleb brought his little camera along. Every time he set it down, Daisy scooped it up.

She's so funny!

The kangaroos and giraffes ended up being the kids' favorite part of our zoo trip, probably because the kangaroos were hopping like crazy, and one giraffe was super-close.

All in all, a good morning!

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Can't wait to get up there and see everyone in a few months.

    ReplyDelete