October 1

I know, I know.
My blog absence is unprecedented. I am writing this post on October 13, which means I am almost two full weeks behind on my blog. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed. October is a wildly busy month for us, with soccer for Caleb and Daisy, plus busy season for photography, plus International Babywearing Week, plus home schooling and Boy Scouts, plus I volunteered to do yearbook pictures for our Classical Conversations group, plus I volunteered to donate babywearing mini-photo sessions for my babywearing group...
I'm drowning. 
I have been focusing on meeting obligations, instead of blogging, but then I started feeling swallowed by the obligations so I am taking a break from them to re-visit my favorite space and my favorite people.

And another reason I put off blogging:
So. Many. Pictures.

The weekend of October 1 and 2 was really busy for us, and there are lots of pictures.

Take today, for example. First, Caleb had soccer pictures. An hour later, Daisy had soccer practice. 15 minutes after that started, Caleb had a soccer game at a different location. Then we had a bank-sponsored event that we wanted to attend, even though it was right in the middle of naptime...
But we did it all.

Chris is helping coach Daisy's group, so he handled her practice while I took the little ones to Caleb's game. It was raining and I was corralling the little ones, but I snapped a few pictures.

Caleb on the bench, waiting to go into the game.

The coach giving Caleb a pep talk right before he subbed into the game. I had to have a conversation (let's be real: it was an email conversation) with the coach a few weeks into the season because his style is very loud and aggressive, and Caleb was shutting down because he thought he was in trouble. I'm so thankful to say that the coach totally heard what I was saying, and while he is still an aggressive and shout-y kind of guy, he has definitely softened his tone with Caleb, and gives him lots of encouragement and specific direction. Since then, Caleb has warmed up to the game and has improved dramatically in his participation on-field! He is definitely not a soccer star, but he is engaged and understands the game and is trying his best to help his team, which is really exciting to watch.

See? That's him in the green jersey and red sleeves, running toward the ball. Yay, Caleb!
The game was over just as the rain really started coming down, so I gathered up the kids and headed toward the van. At the same time, Chris and Daisy arrived after Daisy's practice. We all hopped in the van, grabbed some lunch, and headed to the pumpkin patch.

Luckily, the pumpkin patch was about 20 minutes south of us, and it wasn't raining there. Chris' bank was having a special event for employees, so we were excited to enjoy a new pumpkin patch.

There were wagons, and the kids were thrilled.

Pumpkins!

Eli was really trying to lift this one, and it was hilarious.

Caleb found a bug on the pumpkin, and Lily was very interested.

Strong boy!

Sweet girl.

Awww... look at my little pumpkins! (We didn't actually buy those pumpkins. The kids got little ones for free from the event. There's no way we can afford four big pumpkin patch pumpkins!)

Then there was a hay ride. 
Daisy was telling some sort of story, but I just love her shirt and skinny jeans and chipped finger nail polish and curls.

Caleb thought it was funny to pop his face in front of my shot every.time. He is a stinker.

Isn't she cute? I think she was telling a story, and not actually concerned about something.

This girl waves at everyone!

Red farmhouse, corn fields, and sunflowers. I bet my mom will love this picture. (Hi, Mom!)

It was nap time, and Eli was losing it.

Then the hay ride was over and he found a tractor wheel. He was totally fine again, and fascinated with the wheel.

The kids also got tickets to enjoy some of the rides, and they chose to ride the barrel train. 
I couldn't believe it when the "conductor" said that Eli was big enough to ride on his own. Alright, then! I buckled him in and wished for the best.

Hi, Lily! (15 minutes after this, she wandered off. It was a terrifying 5-10 minutes until we found her. Girl is a stinker, and I felt like the Worst Mom Ever. She knows better than to run off!)

Hi, Caleb.

Daisy made friends with the granddaughter of Chris' co-worker and former boss. Both girls were five years old, born at home, and home schooled. How cool is that?

Off they go! The train went off on its track, which happened to be completely out of my sight. I was terrified that Eli would freak out or try to escape or do something ridiculous, but he was totally fine and enjoyed his ride!

Then off to play with their new friend! (This is right before Lily ran off. The girl is clearly plotting something malicious.)

My four little pumpkins!
(This time, with the pumpkins we actually took  home.)
What a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment