October 6

Today was MOPS day!

Unfortunately, Eli has been having a rough week. Lots of tantrums, poorly timed naps, etc. When it was time for me to get ready, he just wanted to be held. I tried to compromise by putting him up on my back so that I could get ready and he could be held, but he was having none of it. Eventually, I wrangled him up onto my back in a borrowed BBTai. He fought and screamed, but after a while he settled in and I was able to finish getting ready and keep my boy happy. But soon enough, I needed to get dressed.
It is very hard to get dressed while wearing a baby on your back, so I asked Eli if he was ready for me to put me down. He replied: "No. 'Tay up."
And then I died from the sweetness of it.
I realized then that the fussiness and sleepiness was probably a good sign that Eli is experiencing a developmental leap this week. He has suddenly started speaking in two and three word sentences, and it's so exciting! (Except for the tantrum part. That's not so fun.)

Finally we were ready to go to MOPS, and we had a great morning. We also had a lovely afternoon and evening.

A week or two ago, maybe longer, Caleb reached a point where he was completely consumed with his Legos. It got so bad that we finally had to put them up so that he could have a bit of a breather. Today, after being cooperative with his schoolwork, he earned a chance to get them down to play.

When I saw this happen, my heart just about melted.
Caleb was working hard on "Good Guy Island", and Eli was right there watching, but not touching.

Caleb explained things to Eli and asked Eli to help him find certain pieces. Eli was no help at all, but it was the sweetest thing to watch these brothers play together. Caleb is so tender and kind with little ones! (usually.)

Can you tell that Eli feels like such a big boy?

Eventually, Caleb even let him touch a few pieces. It was very generous of him.

After dinner, Caleb's Cub Scout pack had a hike scheduled. At the last minute, I decided that the little ones and I should come, too. It was a lovely evening, and I knew that the trail they were hiking wouldn't be too challenging. The hike started at 6, and we got there a few minutes late. Luckily, they were waiting for another scout, so we waited with them.

It appeared that no one had bothered to look up what time the sun set that day, because we waited and waited. I knew that the sun was supposed to set around 6:30 (photographers know these things because they matter!), and I was growing antsy. We were hiking just over 2 miles through the woods. Doing that in the dark would be treacherous!

Eventually, we began the hike. 
Chris wore Lily on his back, and I wore Eli on mine. Daisy walked, and Caleb?

He ran around like a wild animal. It made my heart happy to see that.

The light was killing me. It was so beautiful, but we were there to hike, not take pictures.

Daisy modeled for a few shots, though.

Daisy in daisy shirts just kills me. I love it. I love her.

Off into the woods!

Daddy with his girl! (He had already set Lily down. He is much nicer about the up/down thing than I am.

It was pretty dark by the time we finished the hike, but we made it out and the boys had such a good time!

Running out of the woods!

I stopped them, though, and made them pose for a picture. 
Aren't they cute?

And with their leaders.

 Then I asked Chris to snap a picture of Eli and me.
Please ignore my wonky eye, and focus instead on my sweet baby with his adorable curls, and my happy children running in the background. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment