October 7

Today was another International Babywearing Week event; this time it was a hiking event at a park, and I was also supposed to take pictures of mamas wearing their babies as a fundraiser for our group. The kids and I arrived at the park at 9 am, and they just hung out while I photographed 4 different groups. 

I was blown away by how cooperative and obedient and well-behaved my kids were while I photographed people! Eli was on my back, so he wasn't a concern. The older three just ran around a beautiful garden and entertained themselves!

However, Friday is apparently Garden Work Day, when a team of volunteers comes in to prune, deadhead, and refresh the garden. The kids stayed out of the volunteers' way, though. At one point, I looked up for them and found Caleb and Lily sitting on a bench together. Caleb had brought books with him, and he was reading one to Lily while volunteers worked just a few feet from them. I rushed over and apologized that my kids were in the way, but the closest volunteer just looked up, smiled, and commented on how good they were.

It was nice.

Then I tried to take their picture and Daisy said, "Take a picture of me like this!" I think she gets this kind of behavior from Chris' side of the family. (*ahem* Grace and Sally)

Finally I got a break from taking pictures and the kids could play on the playground.

Eli was one happy little boy!

I remember taking Daisy here when she was about this age. Such a fun park! But then I headed over to the pavilion 20 or 30 feet away to talk with my friends while the kids played. After maybe 15 minutes, a little girl who was maybe 10 years old came up and said, "Excuse me, but is that your little girl on the swings?"
I looked up at the swings and replied, "Which one?"
She pointed at Lily, and I said she was mine and asked why.
The girl replied, "Well, I was pushing her on the swing and just thought you might like to know where she was. She didn't know where you were."
That 10-year-old was trying to criticize my parenting. She was totally Mom-Shaming me!
It was really pretty funny, so I refused to be annoyed by the fact that this child clearly thought I was slacking and I should be watching my child closer. Instead, I said, "Thanks for pushing her!" and turned away to continue visiting and supervising my children from afar. It was pretty funny.

Later in the day, we did lots and lots of school.
Daisy practiced her reading, and she is doing a great job!

Eli practiced his snuggling, which is also going well.

And Daisy helped me try out a traveling wrap. This one is a Kokoro called Mon Cherie Fog. Not my style, but fun to try!

1 comment: