September 19

After taking a break for the summer, our church small group met for the first time last night. I missed the first part due to a photo session, but I was able to join everyone a bit late. We love our small group, but hate that it always means the kiddos get to bed late. Last night was no exception.

Today I paid the price for last night's late bedtime, and had some very grouchy kids on my hands. We didn't do much school, and I put the younger three down for naps after lunch. Once everyone was asleep, I gave Caleb some options for school. He surprised me by asking if he could take a rest on the couch.

Uhhhh... OK? So I seized the moment and climbed into my bed, too. 
Two hours later, I woke to Caleb staring at me.
Oops.
He climbed into bed to snuggle with me and handed me this note:
Oh my goodness.
It melted my heart. 
God has been reminding me lately that He created Caleb to be the unique person that he is. So often Chris and I focus on Caleb's weaknesses, and don't make an effort to celebrate his strengths. Or we forget how lavishly God has showered us with grace and mercy, and hold our children to exacting standards that they can never fulfill. Chris and I have been talking and praying about taking time to notice Caleb's strengths, and I am so thankful that God gave me this little reminder today about what a special boy we have. 

Caleb is more loving and affectionate than any boy I have ever met. He is loyal and cares passionately about following rules and doing the right thing. He has an awesome memory and, thanks to Classical Conversations, we are discovering that he is a born performer. My boy is sweet, funny, thoughtful, and kind.

I am so glad he is mine.
(I'm also glad for my two-hour nap. Too bad it can't happen every day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment