September 11

Chris and I were feeling frisky today; or rather, we felt like we needed some special family fun time today. The weather forecast was perfect, so we decided to skip church and spend the day outside having family adventures.

Our first stop was the Flags of Valor at Forest Park. Today was the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and they set up nearly 7,000 flags on Art Hill in honor of the service men and women who have died since then in the War on Terror. It was quite the experience. Chris and I were awestruck at the enormity of it. 
Each flag had a picture of a soldier and information about where and when they served and died.

Before we visited, Chris and I took the time to explain 9/11 to the kids for the first time (I think). I showed them this little video that addresses the attacks very simply, and explains what God says about it. They seemed to get it, which was sad.

The flags seemed to go on forever!

After we walked through and paid our respects, we headed out to the apple orchard to pick some apples.

These kids were so excited! The big three each got their own little bag to fill with whatever apples they chose.

I thought Eli would be content on my back, but eventually decided he was big enough to explore with the big kids. He was happy with my decision!

Chris helped him a lot.

Picking apples.

More picking.

Looking for the biggest, reddest ones!

Getting help from Daddy. Don't you love their apple picking outfits?

And then Eli went back up on my back. 

I love this picture of these three!

Cheese!

After we were done picking, we visited the farm's play area. 
Eli is so into trucks, and he was in heaven in the rock bed!

There was a super-fast, shiny metal slide that was really hot. Thankfully, they had burlap sacks to slide down on so no one got burnt. (Remember the time that Daisy got actual burns on her legs from a slide? I thought she was just being dramatic until I saw the wounds later. #momfail)

And do you spy someone special in the background? My mom and Ryan joined us after they left church.

The kids were so happy to see Grandma!

Then off to the bikes and ride-on toys. 
Lily wasn't tall enough to push the pedals, but she tried as hard as she could!

Caleb has been obsessed with - consumed by - Mario Kart lately. He hopped on this little bike and zoomed around the track, and I could tell that in his mind, he was doing a real live version of the game!

 Then I saw this:
Chris was "helping" Eli ride a bike. And look at Ryan behind them. Too funny!

Daisy, too!

But these two were my favorites.

Lily took a water break, then headed out to help push Eli.

Isn't she a sweet big sister?

We finished up with a tractor-pulled wagon ride.

I love the look my mom is giving Caleb. She clearly enjoys him, and that makes my heart happy.

Also, isn't Lily the cutest? Her sweet dress is one that Chris' mom made for her as a birthday gift. 


And then we were done! 

It was nearly lunchtime, so we headed to a restaurant with a lovely patio and ate a nice lunch outside. There was a man playing his guitar and singing some bluesy tunes, and it was just perfect. Just what we needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment