December 27

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and realized that our power was out. Luckily, I had my iPhone handy and was able to check the electric company's website to see their estimate for when our power would be restored.
They estimated it wouldn't be until 11:50.
Boo.

Still, we managed just fine. Chris ran out and got us some coffee, and used a match to light our gas stove to cook breakfast. It was dark and gloomy, but thanks to some candles I got as Christmas gifts, our home was well-lit.

When we made the 25-minute drive through the rain to church, we saw flooding all around us. When we drove home from church, we had to detour because the interstate was flooded. Really. Thankfully, we were able to make it home; just a few hours later, most of our possible routes were closed due to flooding.

When all the little ones went down for naps after lunch, Caleb was desperate for something to do. Christmas gifts to the rescue!
Chris' parents gave Caleb this Spirograph for Christmas. Once I showed him what to do, he worked diligently to create new designs.

Then Eli woke up. 
That funny boy should have napped longer, but whatever.
Notice his missing sock? Removing socks is his new trick. Between Eli and Lily, I am forever picking up discarded socks, and forever wondering why the clean socks are missing their mates.

Oh, how he wants to go downstairs. No way, kiddo.

I went to the gym, and while I was gone, Chris' mom stopped by and this happened: 
Gayle gave Caleb a set of child-sized hockey sticks and a street hockey ball for Christmas, and he begged her to play with him in the basement. She raised a hockey player, so she can handle a stick like a pro. Caleb was so happy!

When Gayle left, Caleb and Chris walked her out to her car in the rain. Meanwhile, Eli did this:
I couldn't tell if he was happy or sad, or some combination of the two, but he crawled over to that window, pulled up to his knees, and patted the window while he laugh/cried until the boys came back in. I'm pretty sure he loves his Grandmother.
I'm also pretty sure I love the new sidelights on our door for this very reason.

Then Chris cheered Eli up with a dance party.

And after dinner, we used *another* new Christmas gift to play bowling in our long hallway. It certainly does look like a bowling alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment