December 24

All day, I waited, hoped, and prayed for the last of Daisy's Christmas gifts to arrive. I ordered them on December 12 and December 16, and really thought they'd make it here on time. They never came. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

One of my favorite traditions from my side of the family is celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve. We started this when my sisters and I were children because Mom worked nights as a nurse. Her shifts were usually 10 pm to 7 am, and getting home in time to watch her excited children open presents Christmas morning was challenging. Plus, she was exhausted. So instead, we started opening one present on Christmas Eve. Somehow, it morphed into our current tradition, which involves soup and appetizers and a casual evening in front of the fireplace. I love it.

This year, it was too warm outside for a fire in the fireplace, but we didn't mind. Chris and I took the kids to 4:00 Christmas Eve service at church, then headed over to my parents' house.

Our gingerbread turkey at Thanksgiving was such a hit that I brought over a gingerbread house for Christmas Eve. The kids were pumped!


I wielded the icing, not very successfully. Thankfully, as long as I gave them occasional bites of the icing, the kids didn't mind. They were very focused on their task!

Look at Caleb, sampling some of the icing and watching the bag, hoping for more.

Maybe next year, the kids will be able to do it without any adult help!

Every year, I try to take a picture of the grandkids in front of the Christmas tree.
Every year, I'm disappointed in the lighting. Still, it's a priceless picture. Can you believe Ryan will be 18 in a week?

And then the gingerbread house's roof slid off. Max declared it was the result of an earthquake.

I had Chris take this picture of my sisters and me in front of the tree. We are 33, 34, and 36 years old right now, which I guess makes us all solidly in our mid-30s. Times like this, though, make me feel like we're all still girls. Except for the wine. And the children. But still.

Soon enough, it was present time. Eli got his first shot at opening presents. The first one was a gift bag, which is kind of a gimme.

When he got to a wrapped gift, he wasn't quite sure what to do. No, Eli, you don't eat it!

Oh. this sweet boy melts my heart! (See those gray hairs? I am definitely 34.)

Also melting my heart: the way Daisy climbed up into Grandpa's lap and snuggled him. Something tells me he needed those snuggles.

It was a lovely evening, even if the kids (and the adults!) ended up getting to bed much too late.

1 comment:

  1. Lol Daisy! How fun! Decorating ginger bread house is a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete