December 23

Today was Caleb's last day of public school - for now. It was a half day, and the day's schedule included a school sing-along and a winter party for his class. Since it was Caleb's last day, I really wanted to make it special for him. Chris was able to go in to work late today, so he could stay home with the little ones while I went up to Caleb's school.

Just as I was leaving, I saw Chris and the little three sitting in front of our big glass door, watching the rain outside.I had to stop what I was doing to take a picture.

Look at Eli, up on his knees! He has started practicing standing, and he is definitely improving in his gross motor skills. I'm so proud of him!
Daisy, meanwhile, is brushing her teeth and wearing her ensemble for the day: footless tights and a big t-shirt. Whatever floats her boat, I suppose.

Eli was fascinated by the rain!

Finally, I tore myself away and took Caleb up to school. I dropped him off, then waited in the car for 15 minutes before coming in to present the book Caleb chose and read it to his class. Caleb gave his class the book Pete the Cat and his Magic Sunglasses, and I had so much fun reading it to them! Once we were finished, they got to work making a Good Luck book for Caleb, with letters telling him how much they would miss him. Caleb, meanwhile, wrote a letter to his class. 
He wrote:
Dear class,
You are awesome friends. I think I will see you again. 
love, Caleb

I tried to leave during the letter-writing, but Caleb really wanted me to stay. So I stayed, and finally, he told me that he wanted me to take some pictures. Child, you don't have to tell me twice!

Caleb's sweet teacher, Mrs. P, was really sad to see him go. I don't blame her; my little boy is a precious snowflake, perfect and unique.
Kidding. 
Still, I am thankful that he had a teacher who loved him so much. I hope that this decision to home school him is the right one, and I hope that neither he nor I regret our choice!

I also took some pictures of Caleb with his class, but I'm not sure it's okay for me to share those online without permission. Finally, he allowed me to go home so that Chris could go to work. Eli woke up from his morning nap soon after I got home, and I got to enjoy this:

He's so funny right now - he can be happily playing on his own, but the moment I enter a room and sit on the ground, he stops what he is doing, crawls over to me, and either climbs into my lap or begins practicing his standing, using me for balance. It's so cute and silly!

Then Daisy and I took selfies.
Goofy.

Sweet. I can't believe how long her hair is getting!

Because it was a half-day, Caleb got home from school just before it was nap time for the little ones. The rain had finally stopped, and it was in the 60s. On December 23rd. Crazy.

After dinner, we went to see the Christmas lights at the Zoo. This has become an annual tradition for us, and usually Chris' sister Grace comes with us. Unfortunately, Grace is staying in Texas for Christmas this year, so we had to visit the lights without her. It definitely wasn't the same.

The penguin exhibit was open, and Caleb and Daisy did not want to go. The penguins smell, and they hate it. But Chris really wanted to see the penguins, so he put his foot down and insisted that we go in.

Eli's mind was blown. He just kept looking around, saying, "Bird. Bird. Bird! BIRD!!!" It was so very, very cute, and definitely worth enduring the stink.

Grace always liked the flamingo Christmas lights, so Chris, Caleb, and Daisy took a picture there in honor of her. We miss you, Grace!

I don't know why my husband insists on wearing his hoodie hood cinched tightly around his face. It is ridiculous, but it's what he does and I love him, so I guess I just have to endure how goofy he looks.

I wore Eli wrapped on my back, inside my hoodie. He did a great job, and it was so nice to enjoy the lights without it being bitterly cold!

Happy kids!

Eventually, Lily abandoned the BOB and chose to ride on Chris' back in the Ergo. Caleb eagerly climbed into the stroller, and we enjoyed hot cocoa and the cookies we decorated yesterday. As we were wrapping things up, Lily rested her head against Chris' back and said, "Me sleepy."
I looked at my watch, and it was 8:00 - 30 minutes past bedtime. Poor girl.

Let's hope all of the kids have sense enough to sleep in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment