June 7

 This morning, Chris and our amazingly generous, patient, and kind neighbor Terry began work tiling our fireplace. My job during this renovation project has morphed from "helper" to "person who helps by keeping the children out of the way". I'm not sure how I feel about this change; on one hand, I'm disappointed not to be participating and learning skills, but on the other hand, I've learned about myself that I'm actually quite lazy. If something isn't quick, easy, ending with a perfect result, then I just don't have the patience to tackle it. So maybe "Baby Distractor" is a good role for me.

Happily, Chris' Aunt Maggie is in town this weekend, so just as Terry came over, I loaded the kids in the car and we headed out to visit with Maggie. She is babysitting her step-sister (Chris' step-Aunt?) Adie's children (Chris' step-cousins?), Jack and Lola, for the weekend. Since they're just a bit older than Caleb, Maggie was excited to get the kids together. I was worried that Caleb might be too shy to play, but my concerns were completely unfounded. He chose a special car of his to give to Jack, which Jack graciously accepted, and the boys went off to play Legos in Jack's room. We didn't hear from them for nearly an hour.

Meanwhile, Lola, who is five, was completely baffled why Daisy, suddenly shy, didn't want to play with her. Eventually Daisy settled in and was willing to play. Lola seemed to not have much experience with babies, and she was fascinated with Lily.

Not the best picture of Lily, I know, but still. It was sweet. Lola really wanted to carry Lily around, but she was easily placated when I put Lily in her lap instead.

Meanwhile, Maggie won Daisy's affections by reading her stories about Ariel and Cinderella. 

Lola soon grew bored with Lily, and joined in on the reading. What fun!

When we returned home (in the midst of a thunderstorm!), I was shocked to discover that Chris and Terry had actually finished tiling the fireplace! The floor tiles still need to be grouted, but I was still amazed.

How about that?
The floor still needs to be grouted (and have the masking tape around the wood removed), and we need to address the mantel, baseboards, crown molding, and some light switches and outlets. Oh, and floor transitions. But we've come a long way, and now we're almost finished! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment