June 28

On the last day of our trip to visit my grandparents, we spent some time with my dad's mom. We stayed in a lovely hotel with an indoor pool and free breakfast, so when the kids woke up at 6:30, as usual, we headed down to the lobby for breakfast. After breakfast, Chris took the big kids swimming and Lily and I went back to the room to pack up.

Unfortunately, Lily decided she'd rather go back to sleep. So instead of heading right out to see Grandma, I put Lily down for a nap and let Chris and the kids keep swimming. When they were done swimming, they had second breakfast and watched cartoons in the lobby. When they were done with eating and cartoons, they went outside to play baseball.


And still, Lily napped.

After she'd been asleep for nearly two hours, I decided it would have to be enough, and I woke the girl up.
I know, Lily. Welcome to my life. I feel this way EVERY MORNING.

Then we headed over to Grandma's. Euny just turned 93, and is as sharp as a tack. She lives independently, and still drives, even driving friends around for appointments!

Caleb and Daisy were feeling shy (and distracted by the cartoons that Euny insisted on turning on, despite our objections), but Lily warmed up to Great-Grandma right away! She was especially fond of Grandma's dog, Allie. I'm not sure the fondness was mutual.

Euny took us all out to lunch at Village Inn, and the big kids finally warmed up to her. By the end of the meal, they were all smiles and snuggles!

Our server drew this picture of Daisy sticking her tongue out. Earlier, I had reminisced about how Grandma was always so good at coloring, so she borrowed the kids' crayons and colored the picture in. Daisy was so excited!

By the end of our visit, the kids were in love with Great-Grandma, and she was in love with them!

But it was finally time for us to head home.
On the way home, though, we got to savor a major milestone: my car hit 100,000 miles!

In 2007, Chris and I replaced my 1992 Honda Civic (with 225,000 miles!) with a brand-new Camry. Even though I didn't need a full-size sedan at the time, we bought it hoping that it would be our Baby-Mobile.

Good old Yammy has definitely lived up to his end of the deal! 
(Pardon the dusty dash - it's clean now!)
Chris and I were so excited to be together - and paying attention! - when Yammy hit 100,000 miles. We are currently hoping, planning, and budgeting to replace Yammy with a van next spring, so this milestone was bittersweet. He's a good little car; if only he weren't so cramped with three car seats across the back!

And just like that, we were home. There were loads and loads of laundry to do, but it felt great to be back in our beds!

No comments:

Post a Comment