June 27

Oh, boy.

Today was one of those days. It started out frantic and crazy, had a moment of calm when Grandmother came over to watch the kids while I went to Bible study, then involved multiple temper tantrums and much screaming and unpleasantness. Caleb was over-tired today, and it showed. I was at my wits' end with him, so when he and Daisy woke up from  naps, I did the only thing a mama can do:

I busted out the water table.

It was 98 degrees today, so the kids were thrilled when I suggested that we go on the deck and play. I poured myself a nice tall drink (of water... mama can only go so far!), grabbed my Sudoku, and kicked my feed up on the table while Caleb and Daisy played happily. Suddenly I looked up and saw Caleb walking verrry carefully toward me, carrying a water-filled cup balanced precariously on a water-filled frisbee.

"Mommy, I made this for you! Don't you want to eat it?"

Of course I said yes, then went back to my Sudoku. But that little boy looked up at me with his big brown eyes and said, "Don't you want to drink your coffee and eat your food? Oh! I will get the creamer for you!"

And he ran over to the toy bin, found a block, filled it with water, ran back, and carefully added "cream" to my coffee.

"Oh! I have to whisk the coffee!"

My little boy knows that I take my coffee with cream. It's such a little thing, but such a big deal. He's going to make a good husband some day. That is, if we can ever get past the temper tantrums.

Daisy, meanwhile, scooted around, splashed, and ate leaves. The sweet little girl was happy to share her leaves with me!

Tonight as I put her to bed, I saw the most blessed thing ever: the jagged white ridges of a tooth, poking through her upper gum. Praise the Lord! Tooth #3 has arrived, bringing with it an explanation for all of the fevers of late. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment