July 3

Today was another beautiful day, and though I briefly entertained the idea of taking the kids somewhere for an adventure, we ended up spending most of the day playing in the front yard.

It was just what we needed.

Caleb drew this on the front porch the other day, and I finally got around to taking a picture.
I didn't think it looked like anything special until Caleb explained it to me:
"It's God and his sheep!"
See, God is the blue person with a smile and a shepherd's crook. The sheep is the white thing with all the legs. I'm not sure if maybe some of the legs are actually green stripes, like the ones under "God", which could mean they are grass... Regardless, I was impressed. Caleb's memory verse last month was Isaiah 53:6:
 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.

Apparently he gets it? That God is trying to lead us to the good stuff, but we try to go our own way instead? I love it. That boy is something special.

Later, I popped some popcorn on the stove for a special afternoon snack. Even Lily got to have some! 
Look at how excited she was about it!
(Don't worry, Mom. I know that popcorn is a choking hazard for babies. We supervised her closely.)
 
I think Lily felt like one of the big kids with her own bowl of popcorn!

Then Chris' mom came over for a little afternoon playdate. Caleb and Daisy - and even Lily - were over-the-moon excited to see her! The big kids spent the first fifteen minutes running around, yelling, "Grandmother! Look at me! Over here, Grandmother! Watch this!" Lily, meanwhile, spent a lot of time kicking her legs, grunting and squealing for Grandmother's attention, and trying to walk to Grandmother.

Eventually, the kids settled down enough to actually play with her. They got out the hula hoops, and Gayle demonstrated her hula-hooping prowess. 
Did you know she once won a hula-hooping contest? 
It's the truth.
 
What a perfectly pleasant day!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I am tearing up thinking of Caleb learning all these Bible verses and how God is so pleased with you both for all your work in teaching your kids.
    Also I am so glad you posted these of mom, I miss her and it's fun to see you guys all having fun :)

    ReplyDelete