October 14

or
Why I Don't Use My Flash

Photo 1, trying to capture Lily attempting to kiss Daisy. They hadn't yet figured out that I was using the flash. I love Lily's hilarious kissy face,and how crisp and perfectly exposed Daisy's face is.
(Yes, she wore that spaghetti strap tank top to school today. Yes, the high today was 64 degrees, with wind and rain. I'm trying really hard to let natural consequences do their thing.)

Photo 2. Lily is looking for the flash now. 

Every other photo is some version of this. Wide-eyed Lily, watching the flash in fascination. Yes, she's perfectly exposed. (Even the fading bruise on her forehead is perfectly exposed!) But everything else is yellow, and her eyes are totally deer-in-the-headlights.

Deer. Headlights. Lily.
My conclusion? The flash may be helpful, but it totally interferes with candid photography. No flash for me, thank you. I'd rather have poorly-lit, natural photographs, or none at all. 

Completely unrelated:
Caleb's school photos came today! Here's a heavily watermarked, low-resolution copy of the photo:
I love that he chose to wear a "work shirt" and tie for his pictures. I wish I had cut his hair before pictures. I love that he's smiling so nicely. I wish that his body wasn't posed so squarely.  Even though I know I'm capable of taking much better pictures of him, I can't help but buy the school pictures every time. Maybe it's the former teacher in me, but I'm a sucker for school pictures.

I can't believe he's a kindergartener!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet girls and sweet Caleb! Oh I love the school photos. You should always get them; it is so fun to look through them as an adult!

    ReplyDelete