October 10

Today was gloomy, rainy, cold, and gray. If it weren't for our twenty-week ultrasound appointment this morning, I would have stayed in my jammies all day. But we had an 9 am appointment, for which we needed to arrive at 8:30, so my mom came over at 8 am to take care of the children while Chris and I peeked at Baby Yoey. The timing of the appointment that Mom had to walk Caleb to the bus stop, with the two girls in tow. No big deal, except that it was pouring rain.

Luckily, Mom is a champ and the kids love rain. 
Seriously. How cute are they?
My very favorite part, though, was that Mom wore Lily in the ring sling. Somehow, despite my passion for babywearing, she's never had the chance to wear one of my babies. In fact, it's been over 30 years since she last wore a baby of her own in her rust-colored corduroy Snugli. She was so excited to get to wear Lily today, and Lily loved it so much that she didn't want Grandma to take her out. That just makes my heart happy.

So. Caleb on the bus, girls with Grandma, Chris and I at the ultrasound place. We had to shop around for this ultrasound - our high-deductible insurance + birth occurring the next calendar year meant that cost mattered. The place where we ended up definitely did a very thorough job; however, because they don't do strictly prenatal ultrasounds, they were lacking some of those touches that make the whole thing fun and exciting for parents. Our tech didn't really talk us through the procedure, so we were  left guessing about what the black and white blobs were. The machine didn't have a printer, so they gave us a disc with the images. The images on the disc are some obscure format which my Photoshop can't decipher, so I can't upload and share any of them. Baby was head-down, which is good, but its head was so far down that the sonographer couldn't get any cute pictures of its little face. The tech didn't really share much information, I guess assuming that after the staff doctor had looked over things, the info would be sent to my midwife who would discuss it with me?

So. It was exciting because we got to see Baby, and from the limited information we were given, Baby seems healthy and perfect. All of the major parts are there. Its heart rate was 149, which is perfect. Based on Baby's measurements, though, they did change my due date. Our initial date was February 27, but they pushed it back nearly a week to March 4. I'm not surprised by that change, but I'm still putting my estimate for Baby's arrival closer to mid-March. My guess is between March 11 and 15. I was thinking March 11 for sure, but now I think March 13. I guess we'll see! The only down side is that now I'm no longer 20 weeks pregnant; I'm only 19w, 2d. I feel like they took a hard-earned week of pregnancy away!

Hopefully I'll figure out how to share a few of the better ultrasound images. In the meantime, don't hold your breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment