July 21

Apparently, some part of babies' brains isn't fully developed, making them highly mercurial. It's a cortex of some sort: prefrontal, cerebral, I can't quite remember.

Regardless, this immature brain-part means that any baby can go from distraught to delighted in a matter of seconds. Caleb is a perfect example:

This is what happens when Caleb wants to read a book and you don't do it rightthissecond.
(I kind of feel bad for taking this photo instead of comforting him, but I think his sad face is so adorable, especially when he gets THIS upset over something so minor.)

Pick the child up, put him outside, and this is what you get:

I tell you, it's that darned cortex. I'm wondering when it will fully mature. Based on my work with teenagers, I'm thinking maybe around the time he's 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment