July 16

Today, I am going to show you several deceptive photos of Caleb.

Off the top of my head, I can come up with two reasons why they are deceptive.

1. The top two are deceptive because Caleb looks like the Gerber baby. The third photo shows it like it really is, all gappy teeth and double chins. I almost didn't post this photo because it shows the least-flattering aspects of Caleb. You know, when he looks like Kevin from "The Office". But I did post it, because I've gotta keep it real.

2. All three photos are deceptive because they make it seem like Caleb is cheerful and smiley all of the time. In reality, he was laughing because I made hiccuping noises. The rest of the day, he fussed, whined, and threw tantrums. I don't know what it is, but now that he's one he has suddenly developed his own opinions about things. When he doesn't get what he wants, he makes it clear that he is not pleased. Having dealt with a mellow, happy-go-lucky, laid-back baby for the past 12 months, I'm not sure what to do with this new baby who's.... a little too much like me.

Up until now, I've been the kind of mom who hasn't feared her baby getting older. When people asked if I was having a tough time with the fact that he was turning one, my line was, "Not at all! I've enjoyed every stage of babyhood. I can't wait to see what happens next."

Fool.

I'd like to go back to last month, please.

4 comments:

  1. I like his little gappy teeth. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like his gappy little teeth, too. They're just so goofy, though, that I have to laugh!

    I suppose the post sounded a little negative, but I love his teeth and his chins and his opinions. They just all caught me off guard and I'm surprised by them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bit of a transition - you spend that first year responding to all their cries because they pretty much only cry when they actually need something, then suddenly they start crying just because they don't like something and you have to make a bit of a shift. I find I'm a lot less frustrated with it when I just admit that's how they're going to communicate for a while. Plus, some of the "opinions" they come up with are just hilarious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had great luck with the books that described each year. Don't remember the title (it has been a while!) but something like, "Your baby at 2" or like that. It would have all of the little changes that as a new mom you notice. Then some things that are coming up. It was helpful to me because it also had some management techniques. He is just so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete