January 9

Today was awful. Just awful.

It started when Caleb decided he wanted to play Lego Star Wars. Before school. 
Most mornings, we have just barely enough time to get him dressed, fed, lunch packed, teeth brushed, shoes on feet, and down to the bus stop. On good mornings, we might have fifteen minutes to spare. We have discussed this, and yet he was convinced that he would be able to play Lego Star Wars. When I told him that there just wasn't enough time, he flipped out. We barely made it to the bus on time, and I was beyond peeved. So was he. I hate it when we start days like that, but it's pretty hard to quickly help a child deal with irrational expectations when you have to get to the bus on time.

When the girls and I got home from the bus stop, Daisy asked to make pink goo. She has been asking to make pink goo for days. I have no idea why, but she has been pretty persistent about it. So, determined to turn our day around, I found a recipe for goo that used ingredients we had on hand. 

Daisy was delighted.

Honestly, I was not so impressed. I used a recipe that just called for cornstarch, food coloring, and water, and it made an interesting concoction that straddled the line between liquid and solid. Interesting, but messy.

See it dripping down from Lily's fingers? Except it was also solid. Very strange.

Also, since it was largely cornstarch, it smelled like corn. We added some lavender essential oil to make it smell nicer.

Gooey mess. The girls loved it.

From the looks of Lily's face and shirt, she was sampling the corn starch. Strange child. 
This was after I wised up and gave each girl her own bowl.

And Daisy was happy, happy, happy.

Sadly, this was the highlight of our day. After this, I spent an hour scrubbing the kitchen floor/entertaining the girls, only to discover that my recipe for floor cleaner contained too much baking soda, leaving a powdery residue over everything. It needs to be washed again.

Then, just for fun, I put the girls in a bubble bath. That was uneventful.

When I went to make lunch, I discovered that our oven no longer heats up. Cue hours of googling possible problems, researching repair places, looking for directions on how to repair it ourselves, finding the part necessary, finding stores that may have the part in stock... all while trying to keep the girls from destroying things. Then Lily refused to nap, and Daisy refused to nap, and then both girls finally fell asleep but slept much less than they needed to and woke just as it was time to get Caleb off the bus so I had to take two grumpy girls to pick Caleb up.... And then Caleb was a grouch when he got off the bus... I am so thankful this day is over. Even if tomorrow is just as bad, at least it is Saturday and Chris will be home to trudge through the muck with me. He's a good man, that husband of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment