January 3

Despite the steady drizzle of rain all morning, I got a call from Emily this morning that she, Billy, and the boys were coming over so that Billy could cut up a sycamore branch in our back yard. (It's a long story; suffice it to say that my mom wants it for "projects", and we like to keep her happy.)
So many things about this picture make me happy: Billy out there with his chainsaw, Daisy glued to the window in her tunic, flowered leggings, and pink "Anna" boots, and Lily's wearing Daisy's helmet for no reason at all.

At one point all five children were plastered to the big glass door, watching Billy and Chris. It was super cute, but I only managed this not-so-cute shot. I'll trust you to imagine the adorable vignette that was. 
(Also, the matched set of Lily and Jace never gets old. They are so cute  together!)

I spent all afternoon shopping for groceries and household stuff, and ended up trekking to five different stores. Luckily, I was prepared this time and didn't end up crying in Costco. I arrived home to find that Lily had once again refused to nap. It seems to be developing into an every-other-day thing, and I am totally baffled. Mostly, though, I was thankful that I wasn't there today to have to deal with it. 

Once Daisy woke up from her nap, we headed out to a Mexican restaurant to celebrate my sister Emily's birthday, which was actually a few weeks ago, and my nephew Ryan's 17th birthday, which is actually on Monday. After dinner, we had birthday cake at Mom and Dad's house.

Ryan's girlfriend, Alana, joined us for the celebration, and I was highly entertained by their arm wrestling match.

Somehow, Lily and Jace didn't even seem to notice the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. That was not the case tonight. See the ornament in Lily's hand? "Pull the Ornaments Off the Tree" became her new favorite game, and Jace happily joined in. Rather than being horrified/distressed/annoyed, Grandma was tickled. Maybe it was the two margaritas talking, but she insisted that she had hoped all along that they would do that, and was surprised it had taken so long.

Lovely peachy-pink roses and polka-dotted lanterns for this birthday girl!

I made birthday cakes for Emily and Ryan, so Daisy felt responsible for them, too. She insisted that Mimi smell her cake, and Emily gamely obliged. What a good auntie! Daisy was delighted to see her enjoying the cake.

Then Daisy asked to put all of the candles in the cake. Why not? 
(Also, isn't she the sweetest thing ever?)

Emily and Ryan shared candle-blowing-out duties. It's crazy for me to think that Ryan is now older than I was when he was born! He's 17 now, and I was a month and a half shy of my 17th birthday when he joined our family.

There's something about Ryan in this picture that reminds me that though he may seem really grown up now, he's still just a kid. Don't grow up too fast, Ryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment