August 31

Things have been so busy around here lately that today was a rare do-nothing at home day. It was lovely. We had a slow morning, and around 10:30 the kids grabbed their nature journals, I wrapped Eli on my back, and we went for a nature walk. Even Lily brought her journal, which I thought was just about the sweetest thing ever.

We didn't have to go far. At the base of a tree in our front yard, we found this awesome guy:

It was so fuzzy and walked really fast - very interesting!

Can you see it on the tree? The kids observed for quite a while.
(Yes, Lily is wearing white leggings and a white long-sleeved shirt. Her monochromatic ensembles are pretty funny. Or in this case, is it achromatic? Panchromatic? Whatever.)

When we got home, we googled the caterpillar. Apparently, it is an American Dagger Moth caterpillar. It was a good thing none of my children were brave enough to touch it, because apparently it's poisonous. Or at least, it contains toxins that could cause red welts on the skin. Interesting, isn't it?

Caleb was really interested in observing the little purple flowers on this ornamental grass, too. (Liriope, right, Mom?)

And Eli was sleepy and happy on my back. He's a good nature walk companion!

Daisy and I are really struggling to find a learning groove. She wants to do everything herself, without any input from me at all. She doesn't want to practice her writing, because SHE CAN ALREADY WRITE!!! And practicing lower case letters, or writing on the lines, is just silly. It's a mind game, and I have to figure out how to best work with a strong-willed kid with her.  This "Daisy" on the dry erase board was the result of 20 minutes of wheedling, coercing, arguing, and practice. She finally wrote her name, but erased it before I could take a picture. I gave up and left the room, and a moment later she called me back in to take a picture. 
This girl is trouble.

And these two helped me make dinner. One is happier about having his picture taken than the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment