August 1

 Today was supposed to be Do-Nothing Monday. But since we had a busy Saturday and Sunday, it ended up being Git 'er Done Monday. My goals for the day were a trip to the library (for new books, and to collect rewards for completing the Summer Reading Program), then visits to the two grocery stores I go to each week. 

While both tasks seem pretty tame, they actually were a pretty big deal. 

First, we had to get out the door. That requires getting everyone's bellies filled, clothes on, teeth and hair brushed, and shoes on.
It's hard when distractions like these pop up. Caleb informed me that his purple marker was "disgusting" and he needed a new one. This was his disgusting face.

Finally I got everyone in the van and to the library. Luckily, I had already returned all of our books a few days before, so at least I didn't have to corral those. But still, collecting reading program rewards for 4 children was an ordeal. We finally finished and went to pick out books in the children's section, but Eli is in a stage lately where he is unable to be pleasant at the library. He wants to play with the computers in the children's area, and flips out when I don't let him hammer away at all of the buttons and yank on everything. If I try to remove him or distract him or wrap him on my back so he can't harm things, his shrieks of indignation ring out across the library.

But we did it - books for everyone (including me - the book my book club is reading was ready for me) and a movie for Friday night movie night.  On to the grocer.

The first store was fine. Eli was on my back, Lily was in the cart, Caleb and Daisy walked. Small store = quick trip. Done.

Then onto the bigger store. At least they have kid carts! Eli was absolutely over-the-moon delighted about the steering wheel on the cart. 

Every time I pushed the cart around a corner, he squealed in delight. I love it!

We got home just in time for lunch. As I unloaded the groceries, Lily announced, "MOMMY! I growing a baby in my belly!"

You guys, I'm going to be a grandma. She will be such a good mother.

I went back to putting away groceries, when Lily declared, "Oh! My baby is coming out!"
I looked up and - lo and behold - it did appear that a baby was emerging!

And there she is - my first grandbaby. I am so proud.

Lily and Eli both took much too short naps today. Everyone was fussy in the late afternoon/early evening witching hours. I decided to join a wrapping challenge, because I need the motivation to wrap my babies when they don't absolutely require wearing.

First I asked Eli if he wanted to go up, but he didn't. So I asked Lily, and she said yes. She ran and got the wrap for me, but as soon as he saw it and realized that Lily was about to go up, Eli changed his mind. HE wanted to be wrapped. He was adamant. 

So I wrapped him up in a Front Wrap Cross Carry, and he snuggled in with his snack, as happy as a clam. Meanwhile, Lily screamed and cried in the background that SHE WANTED TO BE WRAPPED IN MY WRING SING!!! Poor baby. It is hard being a three-year-old middle child. So I put Eli down, and he flipped out. Then I wrapped Lily up.

This was supposed to be FWCC Tied at Shoulder, but it ended up being more of a tied at waist kind of thing. And Lily was not happy with her victory. No one was happy. Luckily, Chris came home. The end.

1 comment:

  1. How funny describing Eli at the library, lol! Lily and the baby is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete