August 19

No pictures of the kids today; just a picture of a caterpillar.

Actually, how about a video first?
While I was getting ready to make dinner, Caleb called for me to come see what he had discovered. It was a caterpillar hanging from a thread  from our back door frame! It didn't look calm, though. It was frantically spinning and curling into a J-shape, almost like it was trying to form its chrysalis, but in a manic manner, while holding a gray clump.

 It was so bizarre that I posted the video to Facebook and asked friends for help. We determined that it had probably attached itself to the door frame, then fallen. The gray clump was what had initially attached to the door frame before it fell. Someone suggested using hot glue to attach the gray clump (which was attached to the caterpillar, but not a part of the caterpillar) to a stick and putting the stick in a more appropriate place. As I waited for my painfully slow hot glue gun to heat up, the poor little caterpillar it fell for real, onto the ground.

Caleb was initially very interested in the caterpillar situation, but at this point he grew so anxious that he had to go inside. Poor kid.

However, it was still dragging around the gray clump and I was afraid that it would have no energy left after all of its hard work, so I attempted to rescue it anyway.

My rescue attempt. No glue touched the actual caterpillar.

I thought I was doing a good deed, but apparently I wasn't. Eventually I became concerned that the poor guy would die thanks to my hot-glue fix, so I freed him. Be free, little caterpillar! I hope you grow into a beautiful butterfly!

1 comment: