June 29

We are filling up these pre-Baby days with all kinds of fun things. 
Today: blueberry picking! 
It was a perfect day for it, too - sunny and surprisingly cool for this time of year, with so little humidity that Daisy's hair didn't even curl. Thanks to Facebook, I found a cute little U-pick blueberry farm that grows berries without pesticides or chemicals. We had to drive almost an hour to get there, but the blueberries were so delicious and so inexpensive that it was totally worth it. 

Daisy absolutely put more blueberries in her mouth than in her bucket. Her diapers will be interesting tomorrow! (Also, those sunglasses make even blueberry-picking look glamorous!)

Caleb LOVED picking the berries. He was very focused and serious about his work, but he definitely enjoyed every moment of it.

Sweet girl.

We were told that each bucket would hold five pounds of blueberries. We filled up a bucket and a half.

I confess: Chris did most of the work. Caleb filled his bucket about three inches deep, Daisy put all of her berries in her mouth, and I just wandered around with my camera, occasionally munching on some blueberries of my own.

For some reason, I think she looks like Sophia Loren here. Though I admit that it's hard to take her seriously in the aquatically-themed onesie...

Or when she does this. Blueberries... yum...

But Caleb worked the whole time!

We talked quite a bit about only picking the dark blue berries, but Caleb informed me that he liked the pink ones, too. Apparently their tartness appeals to him. 

Then, Daisy met a friend. Caleb ran over to pet the kitty, too, and after a brief break from berry-picking, told me, "I wish we had a friendly cat like this!" and then ran off to work some more. Poor kid. Our Tigerlily will never be a friendly cat like that.

There were so many blueberries, and a blue pond and a blue sky. 
Perfect.

Can you see how happy he is? I love it!

Daisy is an excellent berry-picking supervisor.

Oh, look. She's helping! Or maybe just picking another one to eat...

Eventually, Daisy worked so hard that she needed to rest for a bit. What better place to rest than Daddy's back?

Then we headed home. The children slept for about thirty minutes in the car, then refused to nap the rest of the day. It was miserable. But in non-miserable news, a family friend gave us an old deep freezer! Hooray! More room for all of the food I've been cooking and freezing for after Baby comes!

And then I made a blueberry pie.
I've never made a blueberry pie before, let alone a grain-free, honey-sweetened blueberry pie. I ended up using this recipe for a faux graham cracker crust, and combined the ingredients of this recipe with the gelatin and preparation methods from this recipe to make my pie.

The verdict? Still a little bit runny, but definitely a winner. Especially when topped with homemade whipped cream...

Yay for blueberries!

1 comment: