June 16

Today was Father's Day, and though Chris is an exceptional father, we had a rather unexceptional day. Our one splurge was going out to breakfast before church, but other than that, Chris' only requests were to go for a run and to clean out the gutters. (Yes. My husband wanted to clean out the gutters on Father's Day. I know it's weird, but they had gotten to the point that they had seedlings growing out of them, and I think he was a little bit embarrassed.)

While he worked, the kiddos played.
Daisy re-discovered this turtle in the basement, and was in love. (Chris' co-workers got it for Caleb when Daisy was born!) She pulled that thing back and forth for quite a while.

Daisy took a short nap, and desperately needed an early bedtime. While I put her to bed, Chris took Caleb up to the pond behind our house to do a little bit of fishing. Though I got the boys fishing poles for Christmas a year and a half ago and we have a stocked pond almost in our backyard, they've only been out once or twice. But tonight they were prepared, and using his Cars fishing pole baited with raw hot dog, Caleb caught his first fish!

It kills me that I wasn't there to document it, but Caleb was so excited that it just didn't matter. He came home sweaty, red, and bubbling with excitement, eager to tell me all of the details of his first fish. Then he saw our elderly neighbor's adult daughter, and he told her the story. Then he called Grandma, and told her the story.

Then he called Grandad, and told the story to Grandad's answering machine. I got pictures of that, at least. 
Waiting for the beep.

"Hi, Grandad! It's Caleb! I caught a fish! I felt something tugging on my bob and I reeled it in slow at first and then fast!

And it was a fish! I thought it wasn't but it was! It was this (struggles to show size with his hands while holding the phone) big!

Bye, Grandad! Happy Favver's Day!"

What a great ending to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment