August 2

I have no idea why I'm still up; Chris left for Wisconsin this morning, and I'm single-mom-ing it for a while. But I can't let the blog slide, especially when Chris is gone and missing his kiddos.
I know we'll be fine without Chris, but "fine" and "fabulous" are two different things. Life is so much easier and more fun with him around.

I don't think the kids really understood that they were saying goodbye to Daddy for quite so long.

Chris snapped this shot of the big three dressed for church. Caleb picked out his plaid shorts, plaid shirt (buttoned all the way up) and striped vest (buttoned crooked) all by himself. He thought he looked awesome. Daisy also chose her outfit: a daisy shirt to help her new teachers at church remember her name. And Lily refused to let me put her hair back in a ponytail, instead insisting on that ridiculous hair bow. And you know what? I was happy with all of it.

Chris left me with these beautiful flowers for our 13th anniversary, which is today. 13 roses for 13 years, a red rose for Caleb (whose favorite color is always red), daisies for our Daisy, lilies for our Lily, and those spiky flowers and baby's breath to remind me of how painful and beautiful Eli's first few months were. The scent of the roses fills the room and lifts my spirit. It is perfect.

After Chris left, I took all four kids to church. Everyone except Caleb had a new classroom, and they all did great. After lunch and naps, I made a birthday cake for Jenny, who turns 33 tomorrow. We celebrated with dinner at her favorite Mexican restaurant. I'm hoping the food I ate was dairy-free enough that Eli doesn't puke all day tomorrow. Then we headed back to my parents' house for birthday cake. 

The older four kids tried on Grandpa's collection of motorcycle helmets (that's Caleb, Max, Daisy, and Jace),

and Grandpa gave them riding lessons.

The little ones thought they were nuts!

Then, cake. 
Jace was all about it!

This series of photos cracks me up. At first, it looked like normal candle-blowing-out pictures, but then I noticed Max on the right side. He's at least three feet from the cake, but trying his best to blow the candles out with Jenny. I love the expressions on his face!





Then Lily helped Jenny open her presents. 

Lily was petty funny tonight.

Also, you can't quite tell from this picture, but Jace loves Eli. Loves him. You can tell from this picture, though, that Eli is fascinated with Jace.

A kiss for the birthday girl!

Daisy said her favorite part of the celebration was when Grandpa read her books.

And Eli loved pulling Jenny's looong hair.

We left my parents' house at 8:45, and my mom and Ryan followed us to help with bedtime. I got Eli down in his crib by 9:30, the big kids in bed by 9:45, and Lily suckered my mom into snuggling with her until at least 10:15. She knows Grandma is a softy. But I know they'll all be up at 6:30 or sooner tomorrow, so I really should get to bed.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to posting some of the lovely photos Sara took of our family yesterday. They are pretty fabulous; I'll tease you with one up at the top of the blog page. For now, I need to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment