February 19

This morning was a busy one - my first busy morning on my own with four children! As we got ready for school, the temperature was hanging out at about 0 degrees. I made the executive decision to drive Caleb to school instead of messing with the bus, partly because of the cold, and partly because I had to take Daisy to preschool and the rest of us to MOPS anyway.

Apparently the whole leaving-the-house-with-a-newborn thing got a little bit foggy in my memory, even though I've done it three times before. It's hard! Everything takes longer, and just when you're ready to go, the baby poops. Or the baby is hungry. So even though I intended to leave the house at 8:35, we really left at 8:52. Caleb was on time (barely), but the rest of us were late for our events. 

MOPS was lovely (although one can only hear, "He's SO tiny!!!!!" so many times without losing it) and Daisy had fun at preschool, but by the time we got home Eli was hungry and mad. Lunchtime + feeding baby + getting girls down for naps + still feeding baby + pumping + do I ever get to eat lunch?= it was a stressful afternoon. But it's over. And this is all I have to show for it:

Sweet Eli, sleeping on my bed in the afternoon sunlight. Hi, sweet baby!
(I'm hoping to go weigh him tomorrow...)

Lily and Daisy eventually took naps, as did Eli. Lily woke up just in time to go get Caleb from the bus, and when we got home she eagerly joined him at the computer while he played Dreambox. 
I pulled a chair up next to his so that Lily could sit and watch without invading his space. But a few minutes later, I looked up and realized that Lily was happily sitting rightnextto Caleb on his chair, swinging her legs as she snuggled into him and watched him play his math games.

It was so, so sweet.

(As I type this, Eli is asleep on my lap and Daisy has been shrieking at the top of her lungs from her bedroom for two solid minutes. I have no idea what the tantrum is about, but I am certainly thankful that Chris is handling it. This mama is exhausted, and much too tired to deal with tantruming children right now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment