February 27

After we got Caleb on the bus, the little ones and I loaded up into the van and took Eli to his one-month checkup. Our sweet boy did great! He weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces, which means he gained 4 ounces in the past three days. After our doctor took all of his measurements, she entered them into his growth charts and showed me his progress. Before, the data was not curving like it was supposed to; it was more of a slightly angled line. Now, the data has jumped up! You can see exactly where he started growing, and it's so exciting. Somehow in the past week or so, Eli's little body figured out what it was supposed to do!

Now we are no longer concerned about his weight. He needs to keep growing, and I need to keep pumping and supplementing with a bottle, but I don't need to check his weight every few days and be neurotic like I have been. Our doc told me that it's entirely possible that it may take Eli 6-10 weeks to learn how to really nurse efficiently and effectively. In the meantime, I'll need to keep pumping and supplementing. It's just an effect of his prematurity, but it's one that he will outgrow.

It's funny; since Eli came out healthy and strong and avoided the NICU and has no obvious challenges, everyone seems to assume that he's okay and a normal baby. Which he is, except for this breastfeeding thing. I know that this is a short season that he will outgrow without any major consequences, and I'm thankful for that, but it is a challenging season. Feeding Eli feels like a full-time job, in addition to caring for the other kids. With my first three, by one month we had found a rhythm and I was starting to get at least a little bit of sleep at night. With Eli, though? There is no sleep for me. My exhaustion is becoming chronic and long-term, with no end in sight. It's even funnier when I think that Eli isn't really even supposed to be here yet; I'm supposed to be stocking up on those final pregnancy naps and enjoying my last full nights of sleep.
But he's here, and I'm not sleeping.
But he's growing! And this will eventually pass.  Until them, I am exhausted, and exhausted Carrie = grouchy Carrie. So if you see me in real life, be forewarned.

A funny thing about Eli: I've noticed the past few nights that he really likes to sleep on his side. At first, I thought my mattress just wasn't firm enough, and it was causing him to roll over a little bit. But no, he just prefers to be on his side. Even our doctor noticed it today when she was examining him. When she first began checking him out, Eli was lying flat on his back and crying, but when she rolled him to his side, he stopped crying and - for real - began smiling. How funny is that?

Nap time today. On his side. Happy camper.

At bedtime tonight, Chris read to all four kids.
Caleb was being a stinker.

Ignore stinker Caleb's photobomb; focus instead on sweet Lily, holding Eli's hand. How sweet is that?

Do you see how she's playing with his little fingers? I love how much Lily loves Eli.

Chris went to put the girls to bed, so Caleb kept Eli and me company until Daddy was ready to put him to bed. I folded laundry, and Caleb snuggled Eli. 
This big brother was so excited to hold his baby brother! Eli kept sucking on his hand, though, and rooting on Caleb's belly, so I asked if Caleb wanted to feed Eli a bottle. 

Caleb was so, so careful as he fed Eli. I asked if he was feeling nervous, because he looked really tense. Caleb replied, "No, I'm not nervous. I'm just trying not to hurt him!"
What sweet boys we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment