October 31

Aside from the fact that we only had three groups of trick-or-treaters come to our door tonight, it was a wildly successful Halloween here.

We started the morning with this recipe for grain-free cinnamon raisin bread, per Amber's suggestion. Delicious!

Then Chris' mom came over for some play time with the kids. Caleb was absolutely giddy - he adores his grandmother! And I'm pretty sure that once Daisy gets more physical and verbal, there will be some tussles over Grandmother's affections.
See? Giddy about Grandmother.

And this girl was so happy about Grandmother's visit that she was even willing to smile for the camera!
(Well, that and the fact that she's really interested in seeing herself in my camera. If she knows she'll get to see the picture, she often gives me a big grin.)

After naps, Caleb and Daisy got to put on their Halloween costumes. Shortly after our trip to Florida, Caleb determined that he wanted to be a pilot for Halloween. And then, to our delight, he added that he wanted Daddy to  be his co-pilot, and Daisy to be the flight attendant. We later decided that I would be the air traffic controller.

I put Daisy in her costume, and she immediately went to the mirror to check herself out.

This was her reaction. She loved it! 
I made the jumper, used a collared shirt that was Caleb's when he was a baby, fashioned a scarf out of a scrap of fabric, and added airline wings and a pilot's hat. Voila - flight attendant!

After both kids were costumed, we went outside to see the pumpkins that Chris and I carved for them last night. This owl was my handiwork, and Daisy loved it. Really, she was captivated.

Chris used the drill to make a pinhole airplane for Captain Caleb. (Thanks for the idea, Sara!) Caleb approved.

Aren't they the sweetest things ever? 
Our neighbor, Curtis, is a young man with  Down Syndrome. He saw us outside, opened his window, and shouted hello. The kids were so happy to see him!

Stewardess Daisy and Captain Caleb!
Caleb's outfit was pretty easy - he already had the shirt, tie, and pants, and I bought his hat online. All I had to do was fashion the epaulettes out of cardboard, fabric, and hot glue, then stitch them on. 

Oh, and Chris had a costume, too. His was exactly like Caleb's, only bigger. I am quite thankful that my dad worked for the airlines for so many years and that my mom never throws anything away (ever.), because Mom was able to supply us with three sets of airline wings. I think they really completed the costumes.
Also, please notice how happy Caleb was. I love that everyone's costumes were his idea!

Our sweet little runny-nosed stewardess! She's really walking now!

Did I mention she loved her pumpkin? Here, she's giving the owl a kiss.

On our way to the neighborhood Halloween party. I really wanted to fashion some airplane wings for the BOB out of cardboard and duct tape, but I ran out of time.

Caleb was surprisingly eager to play the games and win candy.

No games for Daisy, though. She just took it all in.

One tween girl was dressed as PSY, and had a stereo blasting "Gangnam Style"
Caleb got his Gangnam on. The funniest part? His moves were actually pretty close to PSY's moves in the video.

I love this.
LOVE it.

Oh, and how about a few after-dark photos of our pumpkin masterpieces? 
Caleb's airplane, and Daisy's owl. (Have I mentioned that she snuggles up with her owl lovey from Auntie Grace every time she goes to sleep? She's totally into owls.)

And the backs of the pumpkins.
All in all, a great Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment