July 24

I got a new lens today!

After hearing several people in a photography group gush about a $94 Yongnuo 35mm F2 lens, I decided to give it a shot. I've been dreaming about a $900 35mm lens for a while now, so I thought this would give me a chance to play around and see if the expensive one is worth the investment somewhere down the road. I ordered the lens on Thursday, and Amazon Prime's 2-day shipping meant it arrived... on Sunday? I'm not sure about that, but it happened. I was so pumped! I pulled the lens out of the packaging, put it on my camera, adjusted my settings, and...

*whomp, whomp*

It didn't work.

After playing for a while, I realized that it was the Auto Focus that didn't work. The lens worked perfectly in manual focus, but I don't shoot with my lenses on manual. Then I played with my Auto Focus a bit, and determined that if I set my camera on the type of AF that I don't use (AI servo, for those who care), it would work. Except that it wouldn't let me select my focus point. If I tried to choose a focus point, the lens freaked out and didn't work. Low light, day light, high aperture, low aperture, moving subject, stationary... it just didn't work correctly. After googling and discussing with other people who own the lens, I have determined that the one I got must be defective. I suppose one of the many risks you take when purchasing a $94 lens is poor quality control. Luckily, I am able to return the lens and get all of my money back. And after playing with the defective lens for 30 minutes, I think I like it enough that I'm willing to gamble and purchase another and see what happens.
(The other downside to purchasing a $94 lens from Amazon: no warranty. The manufacturer only warranties purchases made from its website, which doesn't have the lens in stock. So I have to return my defective lens and re-purchase a new one. Thank goodness for free 2 (-ish) day shipping!)

So. Here are the pictures I took with my defective Yongnuo 35mm F2 lens:

Daisy got a new haircut and a new dress. She was feeling pretty fabulous today. Can you tell?

Sweet girl. I don't even care that the focus is off and she's a little bit green. Look at that smile!

Caleb (who is also out of focus) got a new linen shirt. Thank you, Old Navy clearance!

After cooperating nicely for my pictures, Caleb brought his water gun to me and asked me to take a few more pictures. He had some very specific ideas in mind of how he should pose.

This is his fierce face.

Serious face.

Meanwhile, Eli was playing at Caleb's feet. 
Hi, cutie pie!

What a handsome boy!

RAAAAHHH!

So. The lens was a bust, but I'll try again. Also, did I mention that I have finally earned enough from my photography business to upgrade my camera? My new, full-frame camera (Canon 6D) should arrive sometime this week. I'm curious to see how different a 35mm lens would look on a full-frame body vs. my current crop sensor. I suppose I'll just have to experiment with my 50mm lens instead. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I laughed out loud at Caleb's "fierce face"!! And tell Daisy her hair looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such beautiful children!!!! OMG Caleb is hilare

    ReplyDelete