July 19

Sweet Lily is three today! Two-year-old Lily was a golden child: sweet, silly, affectionate, fun. However, I am starting to suspect that three-year-old Lily may be another animal entirely.  Still sweet, silly and affectionate, but with a side of tantrums and struggles for independence. I understand the psychology behind it, and realize it's an important stage, but that doesn't make it any easier!

We started the day with a birthday tradition that the kids just love: balloons on their bedroom door. Lily got three pink balloons for her third birthday.

I can't wait to continue this tradition when the kids start hitting their teen years. A doorway filled with balloons? It will be so much fun!

Chris usually likes to take the kids out for special Daddy adventures on their birthdays, but he really needed to be at work today. Instead, he compromised by taking Lily out to breakfast before he left for work.
I think she was very happy with the chocolate chip pancake that was bigger than her head! (No, Mom, she didn't eat it all!)

We played at home all morning, and though I wanted to take some birthday photos of Lily, she wasn't really feeling it and I didn't push it. I need to make it a priority, though!

While Lily napped, Caleb and I worked on building her a special birthday surprise:
Her very own bed in Caleb and Daisy's room!

Pardon the poorly-lit picture, but it helps to show how the bed fits into the room. Eventually it will be bunk beds, and all four kids will share this room for a while. But for now we only assembled one of the beds. We are so close to being finished in here - just need to finish installing the drawers, put in a board and cushion for the window seat, trim out the built-ins, and get new curtains!

When Lily woke up, we were so excited to show her the surprise! 
Lily, however, was a bit overwhelmed.

We gave her some time to explore her new bed.

She tried it out.

She inspected all of the artwork.

And soon enough, she was quite pleased.

Another favorite tradition! I am so mad that I forgot to take Caleb's picture like this. I think I'll have to go back and do it, even though his birthday was a week and a half ago.

Lily chose to celebrate her birthday at the Mexican restaurant. We don't go there often, but every time we drive past, she asks if we can go. For her birthday, we said yes, and the whole family joined us.

Eli swiped her crown.

Ryan, Max, and Jace looked at pictures on Ryan's phone.

Lily got snuggles with her Aunt Mimi.

Then we went back to our house for cake and presents. 
Caleb helped me decorate Lily's birthday cake, and helped me choose the Sophia the First doll that went on top. Lily's only request had been a pink cake. No, a purple cake. No, a pink cake. Purple. Pink. Pink. Purple. 
In the end, she was very happy with her cake!


And she's three!

Also three is my sweet nephew Jace, who was born 3 days after Lily. I stole him away to the back yard and snapped a few birthday pictures for Emily and Billy.

Why are my kids never this cooperative about pictures?

Then back inside, and it was time for presents. 
Happy birthday, Lily Clare!

No comments:

Post a Comment