February 24

Today was my 35th birthday, and it was fabulous. Yesterday was awful and I was feeling really sorry for myself, but today I felt so loved and cared for. It was just what I needed!

I woke up to a snowy winter wonderland, with "snowflakes the size of hamsters". Our local school district called off school, which meant that Caleb's speech therapy today was cancelled. The YMCA was still open, though, so his swim and fitness class was still on. 

Chris took the day off work, and he was diligent about ensuring that I didn't have to cook a single meal today. This morning, he and Daisy went off through the snow to get me breakfast from First Watch, as well as my favorite coffee from Panera Bread. While they were gone, I pulled Caleb, Lily, and Eli into bed with me. They watched TV while I snoozed, and it was lovely.

Breakfast! (I totally ate that English muffin. It was my birthday splurge.)

Chris came with us to the YMCA for Caleb's class, and he swam with the little ones while I worked out. Then I took the little ones home for lunch and naps, while Caleb finished his class and Chris exercised. I love Caleb's swim and fitness class, but it is really a challenge for the little ones to be away from home so close to lunch and naptime. Today was so nice, because I was able to tend to Eli's needs!

On their way home, the boys picked up some crab cakes for me from another one of my favorite restaurants. Chris snarfed down some lunch, then headed out to our local appliance parts store to get the part necessary to fix the oven.

He was home when Eli woke up, and he snuggled him while I showered and got dressed.

Sweet baby.
 Sweet Daddy.

Eli loves snuggling with his Daddy!

In no time at all, Chris was able to fix the oven. Just over a year ago, he replaced the igniter. Somehow, it stopped working again, and the guy at the appliance store confirmed that it was non-functional. He gave Chris a nice discount on the new one, and Chris was able to replace it pretty quickly.

Then, Caleb and I got to work on some gluten-free, dairy free cakes for my birthday.

Can you believe what a big boy he is?

We finished making everything just in time to join my family at a nearby Mexican restaurant.

Nothing says "Happy Birthday!" like a margarita the size of my head.

Also, sharing a margarita with my sisters is the best thing ever.

Then the workers brought out a sombrero and tequila shot and sang Happy Birthday to me. Lily was excited to help me celebrate.

My family joined us at home for dessert. 
Lily helped Chris make the coffee.

We hat chocolate cake and cupcakes, with coconut whipped topping, whipped cream, ice cream, buttercream frosting, and fresh berries.  It was good that we had all of those toppings, because the gluten-free, dairy-free treats were... less than perfect. However, once you smothered them in creams and berries, they were quite passable.

Happy birthday to me! I love that Eli is transfixed by the flame, and Lily is covering her ears. Apparently the birthday song is too much for her?

*poof* 
And like that, I am officially thirty five.

Eli may not have actually been transfixed by the flame. It may have actually been the cupcakes that captured his attention, because once I blew the candles out, he was desperate to have one.

Lily was pretty excited, too.

I have no idea what is up with Daisy. It's funny, though, that as soon as we got home, she changed right into her jammies. Maybe she was just ready for bed.

And Caleb was eager to sample the cake he worked hard to bake.

It was a perfect little celebration; low-key, stress-free, full of happy little moments watching my kids love on family members and play with their cousins. I couldn't ask for more. I think 35 will be my best year yet!

1 comment:

  1. How cool, a snow day! I love those snowy mornings relaxing! Looks like so much fun and the perfect bday :)

    ReplyDelete