February 22

I would have posted this yesterday, but then I really wanted to watch the most recent episode of Downton Abbey (I missed watching it live because of small group) and... well... priorities. Sorry. All I have for today is two cell phone pictures, but they are awesome ones, I promise.

After a nearly week-and-a-half-long break from homeschooling, we started back up with gusto today. I was determined to do ALL THE SCHOOL and hit it hard.

Well. The kids had other ideas; Caleb was willing, but the little ones really wanted all of my attention and all of my time. It was stressful. We started with Story of the World, which usually allows me to include the little ones. Once we finished reading, I printed out mapwork for Caleb and coloring sheets for the girls. They got out their art supply boxes and got to work. Then Eli needed a new diaper, or I needed to go to the bathroom, or something... I can't remember. All that matters is that I left them unsupervised for a few minutes. When I returned, Daisy immediately blurted out, "LILY CUT HER HAIR WITH THE SCISSORS!"

I love that I can always count on Daisy to tattle. That girl. Love her to pieces.
And she was right. Thankfully, it was in the front of her face, so it really just looks like long bangs. Also, she didn't cut off a big chunk, so it's not so bad. 

But really, I love that Daisy ratted her out. Otherwise, I may have never discovered it on my own.

Once the little ones were down for naps, we did the serious school stuff that we can't do with them around. Over a year ago, my aunt Deb passed a really special item on to us: a microscope from her childhood. She had desperately wanted it, and loved it and cared for it, and it was really special to her. We felt so special that she chose to share it with us! 
Of course, at the time none of my kiddos were old enough to appreciate or be trusted with it, so I just packed it away. Today, though, Caleb remembered it and begged to use it. So we got it out, plugged in some new batteries, read the instructions, and...
IT WORKED!

It's pretty impressive that nearly fifty years later, the microscope was in pristine working order. Caleb was so excited about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment