July 17

Because I am writing this a month after the fact, I can't honestly tell you what was going on here.
Based on the fact that the kids are still in their jammies, I am going to guess that they put this display together in the time between when Chris left for work (at 7:00 am) and the time I stumbled out of bed (between 7:15 and 7:45, depending on the level of chaos that occurs on any given day).

It looks like they put a pair of underwear on Jimbo the bear, turned a blanket into his cape, and used a hand broom as a crown, then placed him on a throne. Meanwhile, Eli is wearing worker safety goggles on his head and toy binoculars on his eyes, and Daisy has Caleb's new water balloon launcher on her shoulder.

Yesterday, Lily asked me if her car seat could be like Caleb and Daisy's. Finally I realized that she was asking if I would turn her forward-facing and put her in the back row with the big kids.

I know the research shows that rear facing as long as the car seat can safely allow it is the safest way for kids to ride in cars. Lily's doctor told me at her checkup that she still has four more inches - at least another year - that her seat can accommodate her rear facing. But she has ridden rear facing without complaining for nearly four years, so after Chris and I discussed it last night, this happened today: 
Boom. Three duckies in a row. I love that our car seats are narrow enough that we can do this!

Eli really likes getting to look at all of his siblings.

And he doesn't mind being rear facing!
(Yes, I know Lily's chest clip is too high. We fixed it later.)

At lunch time, the mailman delivered what is possibly my last new wrap. It is a hemp/cotton blend called Partita Peacock from Emmeline Textiles, and it is lovely. 

I immediately washed and dried it and began working on softening it up.

I think he likes it!

Dinner tonight was at the pool for the annual swim banquet. This is the formal end of the swim season for us.
There was pasta and cupcakes, and Eli was pleased.

Lily got a trophy for kickboard team, and she was so excited!


She immediately ran through the crowd to show Daddy her trophy.

High Five!

In theory, I think participation trophies are ridiculous.

In practice, I love the joy they bring my child.

Daisy was next.

She won the "Most Improved" award for her age group.

She definitely earned it!

See? That's her "I'm proud but I'm not sure if it's ok to show it" face.

Same. She perked up later.

Caleb got a stern talking-to before his age group was presented with awards, because he has been known to refuse to go up and accept an award. Today, he accepted his trophy gracefully.

See? Happy, cheerful boy.


He worked hard this season, and I think he was pretty proud of himself.

After trophies, there was the traditional shaving cream fight.




Caleb is in the center of this one, in black shorts with a red spot.

Caleb's shaving cream is the stuff flying in the air.

Daisy had so much fun!

(She may have smeared most of that on herself. Whatever.)

Clean up time! 
(In a gross, dirty, disgustingly warm puddle.)

The kids didn't get to bed until after 9:00, but it was totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment