August 22

Daisy had her appointment with the immunologist today. 
You know, the appointment we scheduled three months ago? It was today.
I was really hoping that the doctor would miraculously find some small, easy-to-fix problem, and offer us a simple solution. No such luck.

It turns out that Daisy has a lovely immune system. We're doing a bit of follow-up testing, but all lab work indicates that she has a great immune response to most viral issues. The fact that she keeps getting sick? Apparently it's a normal part of being a baby. The doctor attributed it to an immature immune system, but said she would grow out of it. His cure for the recurrent colds? Keep her out of the church nursery (our known trigger) until she's two.  

TWO. 

As in, TWO YEARS OLD.  
As in, eight more months.

*sigh*

But she's healthy! The doctor was honestly more concerned with Daisy's weight gain than anything. They weighed her at the appointment, and Chris and I were thrilled (nay, ECSTATIC) to hear that she weighed 18 pounds, 8 oz.  And then I realized that the nurse had weighed her with her diaper on, despite my protests.
Girl doesn't weigh 18 pounds, 8 ounces. She might weigh 18, maybe. I'm kicking myself for not forcing the nurse to weigh the girl naked, so that we could at least have a valid measurement. Oh well.

Bur regardless, he was concerned about the weight, and pressed me on what our primary doc was doing about it. When I told him that we were hoping it was an immune system related thing, he decided that we needed to see a dietitian and a gastroenterologist. I agreed to the dietitian, but thought a gastroenterologist was a bit much, so we're waiting on that one.

But she's healthy!

And smart. So smart.
See? Putting on Caleb's rain boots, all by herself.
She even got them on the right feet, something her brother only does 75% of the time!

Caleb got to play with Grandma while Daisy, Chris and I were at the doctor. He has already figured out the magic that is Grandma, namely, that if Mommy says no, Grandma will probably say yes. And that's OK.
Now he wants to be with her all the time.

Back to my smart girl. Here, she's signing and saying, "more". She was eating ice.

Caleb said his favorite part of dinner was the crunchy carrot. His hair's all sweaty and rugged-looking from his bike helmet.

What a sweet boy he is!

I showed Daisy the picture of Caleb smiling for the camera, and she promptly showed me a big smile, too. Love that girl.
Thank God she's healthy. I hope He'll forgive me for skipping church for the next eight months.

1 comment: