February 14

Happy Valentine's Day!

Because we're still feeling the sting of paying for our bathroom remodel, I had pretty low expectations for today: a home-made holiday with my darlings. We sent out some handmade valentines earlier in the week, and Chris and I had the "let's not waste money on overpriced nonsense" talk. But thanks to some friends and family who love us very much, it ended up being a pretty exciting day.

First, I have to share this:
Caleb came up with this list of reasons why he loves Daddy all by himself. All I did was ask, "Why do you love Daddy? What makes him special?" Caleb got really excited when I started writing down his answers, and they just kept coming. By the end, I was pretty proud of my boy. He summed up his Daddy's wonderful characteristics quite well, though he did forget to mention his charming curls and big brown eyes. Perhaps that's best for a wife to notice.

This morning, we made some more valentines for our friends Catherine, Mary, Michael, and Gussie. 
I cut out the hearts, and Caleb and Daisy decorated with stickers and markers. Sadly, Caleb's valentines looked no different from Daisy's. I thought that his would be more sophisticated and intentional, but apparently he gets a bit carried away when confronted with stickers.

Then we got dressed and headed over to Catherine, Mary, Michael, and Gussie's grandparents house. Grandma Kim put together a Valentine's Day party for the kids, and kindly invited us to join them. We were pretty lucky, because it turned out to be the party to end all parties.

I love these kids.

Add these kids into the mix, and I'm absolutely in love. It's not often we can get all six of them in one place at one time!

Daisy loved the wooden rocking horse that Grandpa Steve made for his own boys, many years ago. She also loved the Valentine's Day outfit that my mom got for her. The leggings have hearts all over them, and the shirt features a self-satisfied cat who proudly declares, "I'm the princess queen". Daisy loves it, and loves the shoes and socks she chose to go with it. 

Caleb was delighted with the goodies he got at "Mr. Valentine's Store". This giant pencil was a particular favorite. 

The kids played a bean-bag toss game, complete with heart-shaped bean bags, handmade by Grandma Kim. I'm not sure why, but I love this one of Daisy with her arm cocked back, ready to throw. 

She's actually got a pretty good arm, though it appears that this one may have been aimed at poor Michael, who is cowering just out of the frame.

I love that look. It's almost a defiant, "Don't mess with me!" Or maybe it's just a sweet, peaceful look.

Oh. Caleb's other favorite goody from Mr. Valentine's store was this set of finger lights. They really are pretty cool.

My goodness. How sweet is he? He was excited to dress up in his Christmas outfit, which has now been renamed his Valentine's Day outfit.

After naps, more fun. A surprise package from Auntie Grace arrived, bearing wooden glider planes for Caleb and a little doggy with its own carrying bag for Daisy. The kids were overwhelmed with joy.  (Side note: watch this sweet video of Caleb singing his version of "Deep in the Heart of Texas" for Grace. It's darling.)

And then, while they were still overwhelmed with their fun new gifts and the goodies from the morning's party, I told them that Grandmother and Grandad were coming over.

Then, they were glued to the front door, waiting for their grandparents' arrival.

Hooray! They're here!

See? A fantastic day, after all. We're blessed to have such wonderful family and friends!

1 comment:

  1. yay! I feel like crying looking at these and how happy they are. Glad it was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete