January 19

Today was Lily's half-birthday, and since it seems we started a tradition with the half cakes on half birthdays, Lily got one, too.

She told me at naptime that she wanted a strawberry and blueberry cake. After a bit of discussion, we settled on a strawberry cake with blueberry icing. Once she was asleep, I headed into my kitchen to figure out how on earth I would make that happen. I thought she would just ask for chocolate or vanilla!

Caleb and Daisy helped me, though, and we came up with a recipe modified to yield a single 9" round cake. Cut in half and doubled up, it turned out alright!
No food coloring - just blueberries!

That is one happy three and a half year old!

Sweet girl.


Personally, I thought the cake tasted more like a quick bread than a cake, but she didn't mind.

Oh my goodness - I can't believe I caught this moment! I told Eli to give Lily a kiss, but she didn't want one. He grabbed her and gave her a great big smooch on her cheek.

He was so proud of himself!
Is that adorable, or what?

And then everyone got back to work eating cake.

After dinner, Caleb and Daisy painted their Pinewood Derby cars. (Caleb's Boy Scout pack allows siblings to race cars in a special race after the scouts are finished, which is so sweet.) There was even enough wood - though not enough wheels - so that Lily could have a car, and she was so happy! The three big kids worked hard at their cars, but I don't have any pictures because they were all painting topless to minimize ruined clothing.

It was a fun evening, and at bedtime tonight Lily told me that the best part of her day was painting her car and eating her cake. 

An hour later, she screamed from her room that she was throwing up. After she was done emptying her stomach, she told me, "Next time you should not give me so much cake."
Duly noted, child.

Hopefully it's just a cake-induced fluke, and not a stomach bug that will make its rounds through our household!

1 comment:

  1. oh my I hope she isn't sick! The cake looked great and how adorable is Eli?!?!

    ReplyDelete