January 12

One of my photography goals during the slow season is to learn how to use an external flash with my camera. My first two DSLR cameras (Canon Rebel xs, and then Canon 60D) had flashes on them, just like any camera does. But when I upgraded to a full-frame DSLR (Canon 6D), I learned that pop-up flashes were no longer an option. I've just done without a flash for the past year-ish, which wasn't much of a sacrifice since I typically hate the look of flash photography. 

But almost all studio photographers use a flash of some sort, so I've decided to learn how to use one so that I have options. I bought myself a really inexpensive flash, wireless trigger and remote, flash stand, umbrella octagon soft box, and a faux wood backdrop. I got everything set up today, and the kids were eager to be my models while I practiced.

At first, Caleb was the only child who wanted to play with me. He was so patient and cooperative as I tried to figure things out!

This was before I realized that I needed a reflector to fill in the shadows opposite the flash.

The shadow on the left side of this picture is because I was too lazy to move a big chair.

This was when I realized that he needed to be sitting farther away from the backdrop.

Then Daisy saw what Caleb was doing, and she decided to play. 
Maybe I should have told the kids to go change into nicer clothes and brush their hair first, but they were being so excited and cooperative that I didn't want to do anything to risk ruining that.

I suppose she still looks a little gray here, but that's a simple fix.

Lily's turn: 
Daisy chose Lily's outfit today, and Lily was very happy with it.

Gosh, she's adorable!
As I took these pictures, Eli was right off to the side, slowly inching onto the backdrop because he wanted his turn right away!

As soon as I told Lily she was done, Eli plopped down and did this: 
Is he cute, or what?

He's so funny!

I had to include a "fingers in the mouth" picture, because that's all he does lately. He has gotten so many new teeth in the past month, and he is constantly chewing on his fingers!

After that, I told the kids we were done. They had other ideas, though, and wanted to keep going. Who was I to stop them? 
Man. They are so cute - I just wish I had dressed them and fixed their hair! But let's be honest. This is what they look like 99% of the time. I suppose this is for posterity's sake.

And even though they look like ragamuffins, look at how happy they are! And how much they love each other! My heart is full.

Silly gooses.

Then they wanted sibling pictures. 
Big sister and baby brother.

Big brother and baby sister.

And just like the TV show Maya and Miguel, brother and sister and best friends as well. 

So. First photo shoot with studio lighting is in the books. Definitely room for growth, but not bad for a first try!

No comments:

Post a Comment