May 16

Today was a beautiful day, so I took my darlings to our neighborhood playground after their afternoon naps. The playground is perfect for Caleb, but Daisy still doesn't have much to do there. Luckily, she's usually happy to play with the mulch. After Caleb had made the playground rounds today, he hobbled over to the spot where I was camped out with Daisy. I looked up and, about to scold, asked why he had removed his shoes. Caleb's response? "I want to be barefoot and play in the mulch like Daisy!"
Oh, boy. That kid already knows how to melt my heart.
These two adore each other. They're happiest playing side by side.

I asked Caleb to tell Daisy a secret. 
He leaned in close and whispered something I couldn't hear. Then he sat up and said, "Mommy! She said she loves me, too!"
I guess his secret was a whispered, "Daisy, I love you."
*sigh*

My girl in a pensive moment. She's had a low fever for the past 24 hours. No other symptoms, and it may very well be better by now.

Yesterday she said her first two-word phrase: "Mama! Ball! Mama ball!"
She had just discovered a little red ball in the grass of the front yard. I'm not sure whether she was excited about her discovery and wanted to share, or if she wanted me to go get the ball for her. Probably a little bit of both?

Also, I don't think I ever shared the results of that dreadful doctor appointment. It turns out that Daisy is fine.  Mildly anemic, but we just need to focus on feeding her iron-rich foods. All of her other labs came back totally normal. The doc will refer us to an immunologist if we want, but I think I'll probably let things be for a while. 

The doc also referred us to First Steps for therapy for Daisy's gross motor delay. A lady came out to the house two days ago to begin our file and give me some information - it seems like a great program! In the next few weeks, a therapist will come to the house and spend two hours with Daisy to evaluate her and determine if she's eligible for the program. She has to have a fifty percent delay to qualify, meaning she'd have to be functioning at the level of a six-month-old. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I don't think her delay is that severe, and I don't have high hopes that she'll qualify. But there's always a chance that the therapist will see something significant enough to push us through, anyway.

So. Daisy is fine. Fine, fine, fine. I may have been a bit dramatic about the whole situation. Sorry to do that to you. Since I'm never dramatic, I'm sure you're surprised. Right???

1 comment: