July 24

I know it's only July, but we had our last big family adventure of the summer today. 
OK, it was just a trip to the zoo. But it felt like a big adventure.

Chris took the day off work, and we left the house at 7:45 this morning so that we would have ample time to enjoy the free hour. Despite our early arrival, we still weren't able to make it into the Children's Zoo, but it all worked out in the end.

We started with a visit to the stingrays, whom we haven't seen in at least a year. I know this because on our last visit, Caleb refused to even stick his hand in the water, saying, "I will try again when I'm five."

We totally missed the five window, but six-year-old Caleb was mostly willing to try to pet the stingrays today.
Lily was all about it.
She didn't end up petting anything, though.

This was right before Daisy got to touch one.

She was so excited and proud of herself! If you see her in person, ask her about it. You just might get a grin like this one.

Then, on to the carousel. At Grant's Farm on Sunday, Daisy really wanted to ride the carousel. We told her no then because we knew she'd be riding a better carousel for free today.

Chris sat with the bench-riders, while I went with my brave Daisy to ride on a gorilla. She really wanted me to ride on the animal next to her, but Eli was on my back so I had to pass.

The carousel started up, and Daisy was entranced!

Daisy handled her hair and outfit today. Can you tell?

I confess: I have been struggling with Daisy lately. Four is a really challenging age for me, I think. I vaguely remember feeling this way about Caleb when he was four, too. Maybe it's the outgrowing the naps situation, or just plain growing, but it's rough. Today, however, I was able to really enjoy Daisy. I saw glimpses today of the sweet girl I know is still inside her. Hopefully this stage passes soon!

The hippo tank is one of my favorite parts of the zoo.  Caleb and Lily enjoyed it, too! 
Doesn't it look like he's holding a fish?

Lily was so completely delighted by the fish! I wish I could adequately express how excited she was. She loved it!

Three of my four...

While my fourth happily kicked his feet in the BOB. He liked the fish, too. 

Our stroller/wrap/carrier situation today was very fluid. All four children rode in the stroller at some point, Lily did lots of walking and riding on Chris' back in the Ergo, and I wrapped Eli on my front and on my back, and at one point I even wrapped Daisy on my back for a while. It's nice to have options.

There was a little classroom set up, and Daisy really enjoyed playing teacher. Here she's "teaching" Chris about cheetahs.

Student Caleb was asking Teacher Daisy some sort of challenging question.

Then Caleb got a turn to be a teacher, and Chris asked questions. It was all adorable.

Elephants! They were so cute.

We were almost finished with our circuit of the zoo, but we had to stop at the elephant fountain before we left. I try to take a picture of the kids here as often as I can; it's fun to have touchstones like that as they grow.

Daisy was feeling uncooperative for the picture. Can you tell?
(When she was fresh this morning, she was a delight. By lunch time, my Daisy was wilting.)

Some kind stranger offered to take a family picture, which was so sweet. I think this is one of the best ones we have of all six of us! (Though hopefully we will remedy that next week, with our anniversary pictures.)

I love, love, love this one of just the kids. 
(Don't worry, Mom. Chris is right there, spotting Eli. I just cropped him out of the frame. No babies were dropped in the making of this picture.)

We chose to eat our lunch at a table at the zoo, instead of in the van on the way home. After she finished most of her food, Lily made a new friend. 
That poor duck desperately wanted Lily's veggie straws.

And Lily desperately wanted to feed it. Thanks to her nervousness and our instruction, Lily refrained from feeding the duck.

But boy she was a tease!

1 comment:

  1. What fun! That chalk board set up is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete