December 1

It was a Christmas-y day for us. The hospital where my mom works hosted a visit from Santa today, so I took both kids out to see Santa while Chris waited for Plumber Pete to come fix our kitchen drain. Santa was due to arrive by helicopter at 9:30 sharp, so imagine my dismay when I saw the helicopter landing as we were waiting to park. Luckily, we had a front-row view. And as I saw the reactions of the people outside, I realized that we were in the best possible place for Caleb. The wind and the noise of the helicopter would have been way too much for him.
We did get to look in the helicopter after it landed, but clearly Caleb was interested in other things.

Daisy was interested in Ryan. I love that even though Ryan is fourteen and *really* cool, he's not too cool to snuggle with his cousin who adores him.

Caleb chose to wear his Cardinals Santa hat for the occasion, along with his "Happy Birthday, America!" shirt and his newly christened "Visit with Santa" sweater.

Daisy loves Mimi. I'm pretty sure the only time she smiled all morning was when Mimi was holding her. (Girl was up babbling to herself at 4 this morning. Yikes. Daisy, that is, not Mimi.)

All four cousins, together with Santa. 
The whole time we waited in line (about an hour), Daisy was thrilled with Santa. She'd smile about him and coo, "Tan-ta!!" But once we got close... Can you see the suspicion on Daisy's face? It only got worse from there.

As soon as I put her near Santa, the shrieking began. Daisy didn't just cry - she was terrified. Hysterical. Santa and I were cracking up at Daisy's antics.

Despite Daisy's dramatic reaction, Caleb mustered a super-fake smile for Santa.

After our turn was up, Caleb realized that in all of the hubbub surrounding Daisy, he had forgotten to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas. So all by himself, he went back. He gave Santa a handshake and informed him that he wanted a microphone and a green tractor with a yellow trailer.
What a big boy I have!

Then, craft time. More specifically, Caleb and Max made crafts while Daisy pouted about her traumatic experience with Santa.

Caleb was pretty focused and diligent about his gingerbread man ornament. Do you see those little green and white dots on the gingerbread man's feet? Caleb asked me if they were "pain". At first I was confused, but then I got it and had a nice little chuckle. You see, earlier this week, Caleb and I were reading the newspaper together over breakfast. He noticed an advertisement for a chiropractor that featured the silhouette of a man with dots on common pain points. Caleb asked about the dots, and I explained that they were pain.

So of course when I handed him dots to put on his man, he assumed we were applying pain. Funny boy!

Don't you just want to kiss him? Or is that just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment