April 23

It has been nearly a week since my fall, so I had a follow-up appointment with an orthopedist today. Once Mary had taken Caleb to the bus, and Chris' mom came and took Daisy to preschool, my mom came over  to watch the two little ones while I went to see the doctor.
They X-rayed me again, and it looked like this:
(I know. It looks significantly worse than the first X-ray, but it's not. I think it's just a better image due to a better angle and a better machine.)

So, my fibula is definitely still broken. But after talking with the doctor, he determined that the brace I've been wearing wasn't worth the discomfort it caused me. He also determined that a boot, which is his typical course of action, wouldn't serve any purpose in my situation. So he told me just to walk on it, be careful, and take it easy. I don't even have to go back for a follow-up appointment; unless I feel like something is wrong, in 6 weeks (May 29, in case you were wondering) I can just resume all activity as normal.

It will be hard to "take it easy" for that long, especially when the last day of school for Caleb and Daisy is May 21. But at least I only have one week of summer break before I can get back to not taking it easy. It would be a really boring summer break otherwise!

I returned home to find this:
Eli loves his Grandma snuggles!

He was having the kind of day where he would only sleep if someone held him. Days like that are rough, so I was thankful for an extra set of arms! Gayle and Daisy returned shortly thereafter, and Daisy and Lily were ecstatic to have both of their grandmas in the house at the same time.

Then the usual: lunch, naps, Caleb off the bus, dinner... After dinner, I gave Caleb a much-needed haircut, all of the kids got in their jammies, and Chris took all four of them on a jammie walk around the neighborhood. My broken leg kept me from joining them (look at me, taking it easy!), but I waited on the porch swing for their return.

Caleb and Daisy came with a burst of speed, racing down the sidewalk, shrieking and laughing, until they eventually collapsed at my feet on the porch, gasping for breath. It was wonderful

Eventually Chris, Lily, and Eli (wrapped on Chris' chest) made it back, too. Chris told me that Lily ran for a good portion of their walk!

Caleb's haircut looks pretty darn good, if I do say so myself! I'm not sure what that face was for, though.

This little peanut makes me laugh.

And then there's this sweet thing. She has both arms out because she has a much-too-big bracelet on each wrist, and she's trying to keep them from falling off. Also, I still can't believe her hair. It's so long and thick! She hasn't yet had a real haircut. That's on my list of summer activities.

Also, she loves bubbles. And chalk. What a darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment