January 6

Day 2 of homeschooling was... ugh. Not great. Mostly it was due to the fact that I signed Caleb up for a "Homeschool Swim and Fitness" class at our YMCA. It's 45 minutes of swimming and 45 minutes of games in the gym. I thought it would be a good way for him to be active, get swimming practice, and interact with peers. The problem: the class is from 10:15-noon.
Can anyone say "naptime"?
Eli was due for his morning nap around 9:00, but to get Caleb to the class on time, we needed to leave the house around 9:45. Eli didn't get a morning nap. I got all four kids ready, drove to the Y, got them all down to the locker room, got everyone undressed down to swimsuits, and took Caleb out there. While he did the swimming part, the little ones and I played in the pool. 
Note: taking a 4 year old, 2 year old, and almost 1 year old swimming by yourself is exhausting.
When Caleb was done, we all headed into the locker room, where I got everyone changed into real clothes, then loaded everything up and took Caleb to the gym for games.
Like herding cats, people.
And the kicker?
There's only one other kid in his class. So much for peer interaction.
Still, the only other swim lessons our Y offers are in the evening or on Saturdays, which is family time I don't want to sacrifice. So we will make this work. But goodness, it was hard!

It was fun, though.
Eli may have been exhausted, but he loves the water! 

My plan was to check the kiddos into childcare while Caleb played in the gym, so that I could work out. It didn't happen. Maybe next week. I'm sure once we figure out a routine, it will be much better. Or really, once the kids figure out the routine.

Eli fell asleep almost as soon as I got him buckled in his car seat. However, he didn't transfer to his crib, so the afternoon was pretty awful. Still, Caleb and I did school and things were okay.

Nap or not, Eli seems to be feeling much better. He still has a snotty nose, but he is much happier and less miserable than he has been the past few days.

I'll take it!

1 comment: